Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sb driver

sb driver

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

I have a Sony Vaio desktop - hard drive failed to the point computer will not even boot (missing HAL)
I cannibalized the HD from my old Dell Dimension. Activated XP (by phone) & it seems to work just fine.
Now, I need drivers for PCI controller, ethernet controller etc. Since I cannot get on the internet with this computer to automatically download the drivers how can I do it? Do I need Sony drivers or Dell? Or is this whole undertaking impossible? Sorry to be such an incompetant but this is all way over my head. I'm lost with anything more complicated that adding RAM.
So any help needs to be written in simplified version (for tech dummy)
Thank you!
sbdriver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi sb driver, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The drivers that you will need will be for the Sony, but we will need to know what model the Vaio is.

Did you reinstall XP after installing the hard drive in the Sony? The reason that I ask is because if you did install the hdd without reinstalling XP there is a good chance that you will have problems. This article explains this.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2008 - 01:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

In order to connect to the internet you'll need to get a copy of the Network driver and bring it to the system - either by CD or flash drive.
You will need the Sony drivers - so navigate to their support website, enter your model number. Here's a link: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-syste...s_software:esup

Once that's installed, you should be able to connect to the Internet and download all of the other drivers straight to the system.

Edited by usasma, 05 October 2008 - 06:18 AM.
changed the 5th from the end word from "updates"

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sb driver

sb driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hi sb driver, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The drivers that you will need will be for the Sony, but we will need to know what model the Vaio is.

Did you reinstall XP after installing the hard drive in the Sony? The reason that I ask is because if you did install the hdd without reinstalling XP there is a good chance that you will have problems. This article explains this.

No, I did not reinstall Windows. (The computer now thinks it is a Dell) I previously looked at the mentioned site but as I said, I am a serious novice & the information there just confused me. The Vaio (PCV-RZ54G) appeared to me to be a lost cause because Sony told me not to install a new HD, rather to get it fixed ($279+) YEAH RIGHT! Or the other alternative: get a new HD & new copy of Windows also cost prohibitive. So I figured "What the hell" & just cannibalized my old Dell.
That's where I stand right now.

#5 sb driver

sb driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

In order to connect to the internet you'll need to get a copy of the Network driver and bring it to the system - either by CD or flash drive.
You will need the Sony drivers - so navigate to their support website, enter your model number. Here's a link: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-syste...s_software:esup

Once that's installed, you should be able to connect to the Internet and download all of the other drivers straight to the system.

Where might I get the Network driver?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

My question is...what motherboard are you currently using?

The motherboard is the key for determining which site your drivers should be obtained from. If it's a Dell motherboard, what Dell system is it?

Louis

#7 sb driver

sb driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

It is the original Sony computer, motherbord included, from the factory except for the HD.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

Here is a link to the specific support page you will need.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sb driver

sb driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

Went to that link, downloaded to a cd. Tried to install on the Sony but met with:
"...intended only for use with Sony optical drive model DW-U14A your system does not have this optical drive"
So can this be installed to my computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users