Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Wiring Diagram?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

I am trying something a bit different that does not really apply to computers but has to do with USB. What I am looking for is a diagram of a usb port so I can take one apart and replace the power created through the port with an AC/DC power supply. That is it in a nut shell. I understand it is a bit more complicated than that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

What exactly are you trying to power up, and are you trying to do this from your computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Here you go Link. I have seen this used as a power source for various things.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

What exactly are you trying to power up, and are you trying to do this from your computer?

I do custom installations of home entertainment products and having a voltage might be helpful in some situations. Just kind of curiosity too.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have seen this used as a power source for various things.

Really??

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Isn't it dangerous to use water near a computer :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 October 2008 - 06:12 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

I printed out the link that Sneakycyber sent me but have not read it yet. Is the power always on or does it turn on and off with the computer or does it differ from PC to PC. I have seen fans that work on USB power. What I am might be doing is idiot proofing a theater and what I would like to do is have the customer be able to use a remote or turn on the PC or whatever device to operate the system I have a controller that has the ability to sense voltage and if you turned on the PC and after that the controller sensed it it would then turn on the system and the appropriate inputs yada yada yada. That is it in a nut shell but it also has many more uses. The toothbrush is cool all you need is a toilet, Microwave and fridge and you would never have to leave the computer!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:06 AM

The USB on the computer itself IME turns off with the computer (mine won't charge my palm with the computer off). However if you have a Powered USB hub they remain powerd through a seperate power supply even when the computer is off. Usually these are identified by of course the plug and sometimes a light like these.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 October 2008 - 05:06 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users