Here are the specific problems that I have encountered:
1. An error message (Windows Security Alert) constantly appears saying, "Windows has detected an Internet attack attempt... Somebody's trying to infect your PC with spyware or harmful viruses. Run full system scan now to protect your PC from Internet attacks, hijacking attempts and spyware! Click here to download spyware remover for total protection." Then there is the options OK and Cancel.
2. Every now and then, windows internet explorer opens a window with the URL www.safewebnavigate---2008.com/index.php?sid=0&aid=0&said=0&pn=&pid=0
3. Another error message (Spyware Alert) that says "Security Warning! Worm.Win32.NetBooster detected on your machine. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and Active-X objects. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers e-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. This process should be removed from your system. Type: Virus System Affected: Windows 2000,NT,ME,XPVista Security Risk (0-5): 5 Recommendations: Click Yes to remove it from your PC immediately." Then there are options Yes and No.
4. After getting the virus, 3 icons appeared on my desktop: Malware Defender, Protect Your Privacy, and System Error Fixer. I have tried to delete this off of my desktop, but each time i restart my computer, it reappears again. So, I attempted to delete it using the control panel, but as I have said before, I cannot find the control panel anywhere, and is therefore impossible with my knowledge.
5. Using other methods, I was able to open My Computer. However, there were absolute no hard drives listed - no C, no D, etc.
6. At this point, I decided to download virus removal programs, but then I realized that my internet had stopped working ever since I got the virus. I cannot reconnect to the wireless router, even this I have checked and assured that it is completely fine (I am using this laptop with the internet currently).
7. Having no access to internet with that laptop, I decided to reformat the computer completely. Unfortunately, in the middle of the reformatting process (specifically the Recovery Console), an error appears saying "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Setup cannot continue."
Seeing as how I have no internet access with the laptop and have no idea of how to find my hard drives and reformat my computer, I am completely helpless and in great need of technical assistance. PLEASE help me, for I need this laptop in use as soon as possible. Rather than clean my laptop, if it is still possible, please give me advice on how I can finish this reformatting process. Thank you so very much for your time and trouble.
Edited by boopme, 05 October 2008 - 03:31 PM.
Moving from Infected to XP~~boopme