Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Wireless Network Secure Enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

On the connectivity side, it has WPA enabled.

But I'm worried about Printer sharing. I added exceptions for both computers' firewall by typing the IP address. But is it possible that someone else could take advantage of that? I went to Shields UP! and it said that the port is closed from the Internet. But I'm still worried that hackers could gain entry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hello Lloyd T,

If you are using a router with a WPA enabled key, it should be fairly secure. The thing to remember about shields up is that if you are behind a router it won't be able to pick up your system unless you have port forwarding enabled; This distorts the results slightly.

Am I correct in saying you have 2 systems with firewalls enabled that both connect to the same router in order to get on to the internet?

If this is the case, you will have some added protection. As an attack would have to get passed the router and then the computers firewall to get into the system.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for replying, nigglesnush85! Yes, both computers have firewalls. One has COMODO while another has Norton. But the router's firewall is disabled, since I don't want to configure the hardware firewall when an Internet program wants to go online.

But I keep getting the feeling that someone else knows the WPA code (besides those whou should know). And COMODO now has fewer "intrusion attempts" since I added the other computers to the "I trust them" list (I usually get more than a hundred attempts). Do I have to worry about this?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

The hardware firewall should be configured, as it adds a very good layer of protection.

Adding a computer to the trusted list is a dangerous thing unless you trust the user of the other system. Essentially putting a computer on the trusted list will potentially give that system full access to the system. Do you know who these systems are that you are getting the intrusion attempts from?

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm is a very good site that will let you generate very strong passwords.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

I also use the other system frequently so I should be fine. As far as I know, both systems are malware-free (according to their antivirus programs, Avira and Norton).

According to my firewall, I occasionally get intrusion attempts from another computer on the Internet that I don't know and computers on my network attempting to connect that isn't on the trusted list.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

If you are getting intrusion attempts from outside your network you should really turn on the routers firewall.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users