Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Can't Boot Normally After Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

PC: HP a1100y

Upgraded Celeron D to Pentium 4

After CPU the processor was installed I attempted to boot normally and the 1st time it worked - but Windows said "you may need to restart your computer for hardware to perform properly [paraphrasing]" so I restart...

Now when I select "Windows XP Professional" attempt to boot normally it just restarts the PC. It also does this in SAFE (and SAFE with Cmd, Ntwrk Prompt, etc.)

It just so happens that I use an app called TuneUp Utilities and there's an option during startup for "Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" which I tried when all else failed (Last Known Good, etc) and it boots just fine.

My question is: How can I repair XP so I can boot normally? I've tried checking the disk(s) but not much help, and while there's a lot of folks offering different solutions (repair install, or god forbid- fresh install) I thought that my ability to boot through TuneUp might offer a clue as to what's ailing me.

Thanks for any help
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

A repair install will fix the issues. It will leave your program and files intact. But, it will revert you back to the updates that are on the repair disk - so be prepared to spend some time reinstalling the updates.

Most likely this is an issue with your registry not correctly recognizing the new processor - the repair install will rewrite the registry sections for your hardware devices and should fix it.

Read this if you have Internet Explorer 7 installed: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then read this for the repair install procedure: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You'll need a copy of the Factory recovery disks to do this (or a copy of the appropriate version of XP).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Attempting fixboot/fixmbr real quick to see if it does an good, I'm thinking the damage might not be as bad as I originally thought -

If I perform System Restore I'm able to boot into XP normally - until Windows installs the new drivers for the CPU - then when I reboot I'm back to square one.

If this works I'll post back :thumbsup: if it doesn't I'll perform repair-install and follow up anyways...thanks

#4 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Whew, long night... :flowers:

Well, The RC didn't fix anything (fixboot/fixmbr)...nor did the repair install of XP :trumpet: . After executing the repair install, Windows says it's saving all of my data and such, reboots, and the endless reboot festival resumes...and of course now my TU Backup is long gone so I have no (working) OS to boot into.

Thank god for Acronis - at least I got back to where I was before the attempts.

I have to reformat and reinstall everything now don't I? It's okay, just tell me... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users