Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Many Files On The Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twinmum

Twinmum

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

Really only a trivial question. I'm in the process of cleaning up my hard drive in preparation for a possible reformat (hopefully that won't be needed though) Anyway, while doing a scan to find and destroy a problem I am having I discovered that I have around 185000 files to scan :thumbsup: The last scan I did stalled after 8 hours and just short of all files. So I have been uninstalling programs that are no longer in use , transferring photos to disk and generally cleaning things out to cut down the number before I retry the scan. I was curious to see roughly how many files I have managed to get rid of, but I'm not sure how to work out how many are still there besides right clicking every folder and adding up the totals or doing another scan and seeing how many it finds this time.
Can someone enlighten me?
Norma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

FWIW: I did a complete AV scan of this system yesterday...over 750,000 files. The scan took (I think) a couple of hours, as I continued to work on the system.

Scanning less than 25% of my number...should never take 8 hours or anything close to that.

I guesss that I should backtrack...what do you mean by "scan", what program/function were you using? If you mean that you ran chkdsk...I suspect that you have hard drive situations needing attention.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2008 - 10:47 AM.

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Im not sure if you did this already, but you should clear out your temporary internet files and cookies. These files often take up allot of time when doing a complete scan with any program.

Edited by ice2921, 04 October 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

To find out how many files, run chkdsk at the command prompt.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

Xinorbis can help: http://www.freshney.org/xinorbis/index.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users