Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Blue Screen On Boot - Is My Computer Dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 badcoverversion

badcoverversion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

Hi folks, somebody recommended this forum to me as it helped them out! Here's hoping you might be able to do the same for me :thumbsup:...

I have a 21 month old Sony Vaio (VGN- FE31H) and it went out of warranty on December 2nd 2007. Unfortunately it also seemed to 'die' a month later in January of this year, whilst I was 9 months pregnant with my first child... bah!

Fast-forward to many months of online technical 'support' later....which has basically been a sham as they just keep on closing my queries and trying to SELL me the recovery discs that I feel should have been included with my initial purchase. I have done a little searching online and somebody with the same issue (or at least a very similar one) bought the recovery discs and they didn't actually work anyway.

I cannot even access Windows or operate the computer in safe mode...the Sony Vaio logo appears then a BLUE SCREEN message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down in order to prevent any damage to your computer.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disc defragmentation or backup utilites. Check your hard drive configuration and check for updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your comp.

0x00000024
(0x001902fe, 0xf7cc780c, 0xf7cc7508, 0xf74711fc)

ntfs sys - address 74711fc base at f7464000 datestamp 41107eea

I've tried to install a licensed copy of Windows belonging to my Brother and it just reached the actual installation bit and the same blue screen appears. I can't seem to access anything via the function keys...apart from F2, and I can't do sod all from there it appears.

I'm currently on maternity leave so I don't have the money to shell out on repairing a relatively new 900 computer that seems to have just given up through no fault of my own.

Does anybody have any suggestions? How would I go about running this CHKDSK /F and whatnot? Would I need a boot disk? I have seen some available for download but I'm pretty clueless.

My computer has Windows XP installed.

MANY THANKS in advance.

PS: I feel absolutely cheated by Sony btw...I have been into their store and they treated me like an absolute imbecile and basically said it wasn't their problem and gave me the number for a helpline (35p per minute).

I appreciate it is out of warranty now, but it was a mere 2 months out of warranty when I first paid them a visit (after just giving birth) and they looked at me like I was expecting something for nothing. I spent 900 frigging notes on the thing!!! A little bit of support and a nudge in the right direction wouldn't have gone amiss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

:flowers: I am sure someone will be along with more ideas but to start you off,
May one ask ; what antivirus program was on it and was it fully updated?
Did you have Service Pack 2 installed?

?What kind of 'death did it apparently die?

Did it suddenly play up or gradually and how?

For what had the computer been used?

When you press the F2 key what, if any, choices do you see and what happens if you attempt to select any of them?
I guess you cannot even disable your Antivirus program?

One wonders if it is infected or a hardware/software problem :trumpet:

( ps; Congratulations on your 'new arrival' I hope not too many sleepless nights for mum ?:thumbsup: )

#3 badcoverversion

badcoverversion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

:trumpet: I am sure someone will be along with more ideas but to start you off,
May one ask ; what antivirus program was on it and was it fully updated?
Did you have Service Pack 2 installed?

?What kind of 'death did it apparently die?

Did it suddenly play up or gradually and how?

For what had the computer been used?

When you press the F2 key what, if any, choices do you see and what happens if you attempt to select any of them?
I guess you cannot even disable your Antivirus program?

One wonders if it is infected or a hardware/software problem :inlove:

( ps; Congratulations on your 'new arrival' I hope not too many sleepless nights for mum ?:thumbsup: )

First off, thanks for the congrats...it's exhausting but rewarding hehe. :flowers:

When I say it died...I literally turned it on one day and it came on for a few minutes then shut down...I tried to start up again, the blue screen appeared and the rest is history. Everything I do results in the blue screen...I have tried to access the recovery partition, install Windows again, etc.

I think the problem with me trying to install this Windows is that it is Professional version...and I believe I had Home edition. So I would have to format the drive no? But I don't know how I go about doing this when I can't access anything.

I cannot disable anti-virus as far as I'm aware...and I am being advised to do this in the error message.

My options in BIOS are very limited. I can disable/enable external drive boot and network boot, and I can change the order of the boot (floppy, optical, internal, network). That's about it.

I am unsure of my anti-virus...but there was something installed with the computer if I remember correctly. I'm confused as to where a virus would have come from...I don't download movies, music, games and hadn't installed anything new at the time. I was barely using it due to the fact that it was nearing Christmas.

Service pack 2...yes I'm sure I'd installed this.

Somebody has suggested I try and install ubuntu? Do you think this is a good idea? I am not worried about losing my personal work/data...I would just like a working laptop again.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

May we clarify a tad?

You have ( although a bit busted) XP Home installed?

You wish to upgrade to XP Professional? How had you attempted to do this ?

It also sounds as though you maybe never even installed

I am unsure of my anti-virus...but there was something installed with the computer if I remember correctly

let alone updated your antivirus program or ever ran a scan with it ?
So may also be unawares battling an infection as the computer, with no active antivirus protection, cannot alert you TO an infection :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users