Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Advanced System Problem! Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jackfarrel

jackfarrel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

Dear experts, I know this is long, and complicated, but I’d be so happy and honored if you would take some time to read this, and help me, I am good at computers, been on them since 98, but I ran into the most difficult problem of my time, and I need help…

Wow, I really ran into a problem.
I downloaded a file from the net, turned out it was a virus and it put a bad virus in my system causing my explorer.exe to refresh constantly every 5 seconds.
It became very annoying.
I had norton antivirus running in the background, I am pretty good at computers, and keep my sys pretty good, put allot of work into it, so I really don’t want to reformat.
Now the problem is.. Norton did not stop the virus, I downloaded about .. 5 other apps, avg, panda, turned on the zone alarm anti virus, downloaded spyware doctor, hit the thing hard, did scans, everything.
Then when it all FAILED, I downloaded a cute little program called “combofix” by bleepingcomputer.com :thumbsup:
It worked very nicely, I was able to put my pc back to the same way it was wth my nice shell and everything, I then uninstalled all the antivirus software I had put in.. when asked if I wanted to reboot, I put “later” for everything and kept uninstalling all of them.
I do not know if that is the cause or has anything to do with my current problem.
CURRENT PROBLEM:
After the combofix, I shut the pc down for the night, in the morning, I turned it on, and the pc was in a bootloop. It does not show the windows splash screen loading, it shows nothing, only the bios then after the bios, a slight pause.. checks for scsi.. then reboots back to the beginning of the bios.
Continues this way forever if I left it. Beeping each time it reboots of course.
It’s stuck.. and I know my hard drive is fine for 3 reasons.
A. I did a spin right scan on it, and it had no problems.
B. B. I loaded it into another computer system and can access it fine and see all my data.. when it is loaded as another 2ndary drive.
C. It does a “bootloop” just in the exact same way.. on another computer system when used as the primary hard drive.

I have tried to reinstall windows, however, after it installs some files and folders and deletes the windows folder, when it goes to shutdown.. it simply goes back to the bios.. it will not leave the bios bootloop, even when reinstalling windows.
(I made a clone of the drive before I did this, using acronis)
The other thing I tried, is using the repair tools (before I tried the reinstall windows option)
When I entered the recovery console for windows, via the xp cd, I tried: fixboot command, I tried the “fixmbr” command, tried replacing the .ini file which made no sence anyway..
I have no partitions, it’s a raptor 150gb hard drive connected with a scsi to the mobo. Does not seem to be a hardware issue, I can access the drive externally perfectly, it just wont recognize and boot of the windows folder.
I do not want to reformat it would take me a LONG time putting all my data and apps back in, I really just want to find out what file system file, or boot record or anything that is missing or got corrupted, or maybe that “combofix” utility put some important files in quarantine, I don’t know.. but this is very annoying, and I really really need help!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP!
And thank you to all volunteers who took the time to read this and who will take any time to offer advice.
Please don’t say format.. formatting is “giving up” and I don’t want to give up and redo everything, it would take 10x more work.
Sincerely,
Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

Well, maybe you have corrupted boot.ini file? To do something,can you access Recovery Console?If yes do the repair:Here's How:
1.Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks or with the Windows CD-ROM.
2.At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press F10 or press R.
3.You should now see a list of installations and the prompt "Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to?"
4.Select the appropriate number for the Windows installation that you want to repair.
5.Type the administrator password and press Enter. If the administrator password does not exist, just press Enter.
6.From the recovery console, issue the following command:
expand D:\i386\filename_ C:\<destination>

where filename_ signifies the name of the file you want to extract, 'D' signifies the drive letter of the source you are extracting from and<destination> specifies the path of the folder to which you wish to extract the file.

7.After the file has been extracted, type exit to leave the recovery console, remove the Windows Setup floppy or Windows CD-ROM and restart the system normally.

Hope this will be fixed,but in more easy way-before you see bootloop, choose last good config..If helps,then go to safe mode,ask someone malwarebytes anti-malaware 1.28 (latest definitions) and run it

#3 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:12 AM

Ooh, yes and i warn you:ComboFix is very strict removal tool, which dont warn you, if it deletes .sys file or .mp3 file, so be very careful..ComboFix is not for advanced users..Its for Exprert

And welcome to BleepingComputer.com :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :huh:

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 04 October 2008 - 02:13 AM.

#4 jackfarrel

jackfarrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

I tried that, I tried replacing the entire folder, several times, it's very stubborn.

I do have a folder that was left behind by the combofix utility, it's called : QooBox
located on the main dir of the drive.
It has "add-remove programs.txt"
backenv
Combofix-quarantined-files.txt
quarantine
snapshot@2008-10-01_23.06.dat
snapshot@2008-10-01_23.06_B.dat
The "snapshots" seem to contain a good some of data.. is there anyway to use those?

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

i think access of them isn't possible..But if, ask it directly to Bleepingcomputer.com guru's...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

I suggest that you post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The personnel there are trained to deal with malware situations, while this is an XP forum. Personnel here undoubtedly have experience with malware issues...but this is not the place for getting what I would describe as "proper assistance" with malware issues.

Louis

#7 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

I suggest that you post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The personnel there are trained to deal with malware situations, while this is an XP forum. Personnel here undoubtedly have experience with malware issues...but this is not the place for getting what I would describe as "proper assistance" with malware issues.

Louis

Yes its good idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users