Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Lovely Start Up Problem (possible Hard Drive Crash?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Frigg

Mr.Frigg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

My fathers computer has recently crapped out on him, so , as I have the only internet capable machine in the house, its up to me to find a solution.
Firstly when the computer is turned on it boot straight to a black screen that asks me to boot from CD . It also lists the components of the machine by number, function , vendor/device class and IRQ. It also make a beeping sound (similar to the "I can't find my HD" sound i have herd other comps make IE my own)
I have run the check function and the repair function from my windows disk , neither has had any affect. I am wondering , given the symptoms i have offered, is it not possible that the hard drive ( he has only one ) has died ? or at least can not be detected ? any help would greatly be appreciated.

Any questions will be answered very quickly so feel free to ask .

Thank you for your time in advance.

Mr.Frigg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

Most hdd manufacturers have a diagnostic tool that you can download and boot from to test the hdd. I would find out who makes yours and go to their web site and use their tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

I'd consider replacing the CMOS battery, as a way of removing that from consideration.

The booting of the system relates directly to the boot options reflected in the BIOS..it would be useful if we knew exactly what message appears on this black screen you see when you boot.

Louis

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

What are the specifications of your computer? How many beeps are you hearing? Are you receiving any errors? Are you hearing any strange sounds from within the computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users