Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager,Other devices with yellow ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

I recently did a clean install on Win98se. In device manager, under "Other devices" I have a yellow question mark next to "PCI Communication Device" and next to "PCI Multimedia Audio Device". I've tried to reinstall driver, search for a better driver, place the start-up disk in and I get "windows was unable to locate a driver for this device". :thumbsup:
What do I need to do next. All help will be greatly appreciated .
Thank you,
newbeee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

Try downloading the drivers for your sound card and extracting them to a folder like c:\audio and pointing the update driver there. You can also try new driver instead of update driver

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

Download Belarc Advisor
and run it on the computer with the problem. It fits on a floppy.

What does it say under:

Main Circuit Board

Multimedia

Communications

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

Thank you both for replying (happy belated birthday Grinler). The good news, my friend found the sound blaster 16PCI software, I loaded it but I don't have sound. I do have the right speaker in the green hole and the left into the right. I ran everest, here's what I got: motherboard ID;08/06/1998-i430TX-00000000C-0
Motherboard name: AOpen AP5T in the Multimedia: Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq) Sound Card ( I also have Windows Audio, Audio Codecs and Video Codecs in multimedia with alot of info) I don't have Communications but in PCI Devices: AT&T 1646TOO V.90 Lucent Modem ( pulled the modem and got alot of info off it if that will help) ATI 3D-Rage/3D-Rage II Video Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card Intel 82371AB PCI PIIX4 - PIIX4(B-O) Intel 82371AB PIIX4 - Power Management Controller (B-O) Intel82371AB/EB PIIX4 - IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller Intel 82439TX Mobil Triton II System Controller - MXTC9A-1) Realtek RTL8139 Fast Earthernet Adapter(I installed this to load all the critical updates, then I'll remove it). The owner of this system uses dial-up.
I have 2 problems, no sound and a yellow question mark on Other devices PCI Communications in Device Manager. :thumbsup:
I don't know much about computers, but I sure have been reading alot the last few days about drivers, it's very confusing on selecting the right one.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Great forum, thank you,
newbeee

#5 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

=> question mark next to "PCI Communication Device"

Usually this indicates the presence of an internal/external modem. if your modem is already setup, it may b a network adapter.

if you can, try opening your cabinet & post the model no's of sound card & modem/ethernet adapter, we can help.

good luck.

jb.

#6 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

Hi there, The eathernet adapter works, I downloaded all the critical updates with it. It's a Airlink101 10/100Mbps PCI fast ethernet adapter (which I'm going to remove). The sound card has the following on it: Model CT4740 Trade Name Creative Labs Model Number CT4740 Serial No. T4740030051206 The large square chip has: Creative CT5880 - DCQ S 0026H JG986E Kor The long Chip has: TDA1517P G22521 YSH 0027 3
On the Modem: Large square chip has Lucent HV90P-T REA 12 00305 3580943 98 Lucent The small square chip has 1034AH-J 0033 T 30575741 The labels on the backside of the modem has Zoom\Fax Modem V.92PCI Model 3025L FCC# BDNUSA33104-M5-E
There is a code 28 in the PCI Communication Device Properties.
If this isn't enough info, let me know and I'll find it.
Thank you,
newbeee

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

You don't have a Modem showing in Control Panel or Device Manager at this point, I'm assuming.

Try this driver for the modem. Login is '"driver2", password is "all". Use those as everybody gets the same ones.

Its a zip file so you'll need to get winzip or pkzip to unpack it. Make a new folder called Modem driver on the C: drive and extract the zip file to that. Then using Start>Run>Browse navigate to C:\Modem driver and click on setup.exe.

Remove the Sound card from Device manager and download this driver. Create a folder as before called Sound driver on the C: drive and extract the zip file to there. Then using Start>Run>Browse navigate to C:\Sound driver and run setup.exe.

Let us know how you make out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

Yeaaaaaa, I got the modem recognized in device manager :thumbsup:
Thank you for hanging in there with me, you are GREAT and very patient. I have a question on deleting the sound card in device manager. When I open device manager, do I go to Sound,video and game controllers. It has these 4: creative gameport joystick, sound blaster audioPCI, Sound Blaster AudioPCI Legacy Device and Wave Device for Voice Modem ? :flowers: I don't see anything that says "Sound Card" Sorry for being so stupid, but this sure is fun.
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had to build up my courage to accomplish the modem thingy.
thanks,
newbeee (Jerrie)

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

Right on Jerrie :thumbsup: Gettin there.

It has these 4: creative gameport joystick, sound blaster audioPCI, Sound Blaster AudioPCI Legacy Device and Wave Device for Voice Modem ?  I don't see anything that says "Sound Card" Sorry for being so stupid, but this sure is fun.

Your not being stupid, your learning. Try not to have toooo much fun. :flowers:

Leave the Wave Device for Voice Modem but remove the other three and carry on with that driver I linked to for the sound. Glad you got it together to use Everest rather than Belarc, it made things that much easier, but I didn't realize this machine was internet capable. I see now you added the NIC. Great job so far. Lets finish this beauty off. :trumpet:

#10 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

I have good news and bad. The good is that I now have sound, checked it out in the sound icon in the control panel :thumbsup: YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The bad news is when I try to play a audio CD, the little window pops up saying CD Player, when I hit play,it tells me "Artist: data or no disk loaded" "Title:please insert an audio disk". It does recognize the tracks and total play time. I went to "D" drive, hi-lighted a song and got "The disk you are trying is not inserted in the CDROM drive" :flowers: I checked the play-back controls and they appear OK.
Back to the drawing board, I'm missing something. One other thing, I was going to save the drivers that you had me download, to a CD. When I right click the folder, select "send to" I don't have the option to select D, just 3 1/2 floppy(A), Desktop, Mail Recipient, or My documents. :trumpet: .
Thanks again,
Jerrie(newbeee)

#11 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

I should add that the audio CD did not have sound prior to me deleating anything.
Thanks,
newbeee

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

Glad to hear those sound drivers worked. :thumbsup:

I did a clean install on a old ComputerTec system with a memorex 48x CDrom

Thats from the other thread you had about the CD not working. Are you sure thats a CD burner? In device Manager you will find the model number. Post back with that.

What happens if you try to play a CD with Windows Media Player? Go to (in WMP) File>Open and browse to a track on the CD.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

I should add that the audio CD did not have sound prior to me deleating anything.

Prior to you deleting what? Do you mean the old Device Manager entries under Multimedia before the sound drivers you just put in?

#14 newbeee

newbeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

I only deleted the 3 in Multimedia that you told me to, nothing more. I tried WMP, nothing shows up when I browse the tracks, it's like nothing is there. The tracks do show up if I go to D drive, but won't play. The CDROM is ATAPI 48X CDROM in device manager. I checked Everest and got the following: Driver description: (CD-ROM) Driver date: 4/23/99 Driver provider: Microsoft INF File :MSCDROM.INF Hardware ID: __ATAPI_48X_CDROM______3,GenCD,SCSI\_ATAPI_48X_CDROM___... I did't realize that all cd players don't have the ability to write to them, guess this one can only play :thumbsup: I should have realized that there isn't a program with this system like Easy CD Creator. Oh well, Ill just copy all that good stuff to Floppies.
thanks,
newbeee

Edited by newbeee, 05 May 2005 - 05:12 PM.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

Two things could be going on here.

You don't have the codecs to play the music which is very likely on a fresh install In other words the CD is not compatible (or rather the file format) with playing on the computer.

I found the motherboard manual for that computer and based on its age it needs to have a thin double wire running from the CD drive to the sound card similiar to [url="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=12-102-104-02.JPG&CurImage=12-102-104-02.JPG&Description=GENERIC%20AUDIO%2024"%204-pin%20Connector%20Cable%20Model%2011A1-12418%20-%20OEM"]this[/url] in order to play music CD's. Really cheap to buy

Motherboard specs if you would like to see them, including the manual.

Edited by Leurgy, 05 May 2005 - 05:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users