Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Say It Isn't So.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nema

Nema

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Greetings everyone, I know that I rarely come here, but today you`ll get the chance to suffer me once more :thumbsup:

I`ve tried and tested the assistance given through this forum and can personally attest of the competence and diligence of all those brilliant techies that save us, commoners, from destroying our machines with our ceaseless ignorance. If it weren't for you, I am sure the lot of us would be prone to recur to the Neanderthal way of "fixing"... tamper with everything, press, pull, disconnect, reconnect, not knowing that we could screw things more than they are, and in the end if all else fails we resort to our final solution... throwing whole computers out of the window hoping that the 'bonk' of the fall will do the job, rather than render the PC into a sea of shattered silicon and plastic.

So, please bear with me.

You see, my computer isn't working. I dire the possibility that my system may have crashed, because every single time that I restart/turn on the computer it boots, but as soon as the Windows ME start up screen loads, the computer shuts down. I even get the "Shutting down computer" thing. I tried accessing the machine through Safe Mode but it isn't that much of an improvement: I just get to glimpse the desktop wallpaper without anything else loading... and then it shuts down.

Before the problem happened, I was browsing the web on Firefox, specifically this site> http://www.esmitierra.com.sv/. Then Firefox froze, task manager didn't respond, so I manually restarted the machine only to have it turn off instead... And it has been turning off ever since.

So, what could of happened? Please tell me my system didn't crash and that I lost all of my files... Well, not exactly, because I was in the process of making a back up of most of them (5GB done and about 2 to go... all of them images, videos, etc. leisurely stuff), but I can't simply let the rest be unanswered for. I HAVE TO find a way to make this PC to work, because much of my data is very difficult to recover, because it is old.

So tell me, what could have been the problem? Could placing the problematic hard disk as a slave on a secondary machine let me access it and try to fix it or at least recover the data?

Thank you, and I'll be grateful for your help!

I really, really, really hope it wasn't a total loss of data system crash, for the sake of the PC, because I do feel the caveman in me firing up....

Edited by Nema, 03 October 2008 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Could placing the problematic hard disk as a slave on a secondary machine let me access it and try to fix it or at least recover the data?

Yes, that's one of the ways to do it

I'll defer to others what attempts to try on you r computer. I've never used ME
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Ofcourse you can put the hard disk as secondary on some other computer and access it.

You can try booting the computer into Safe mode to exclude any problematic drivers. Sometimes, lack of blank space on hard disk also causes problems.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Oddly, this sounds remarkably similar to an event I too suffered recently although I was not on the net at the time but testing out the comp after a '5000 miles service '

My comp seemed to start, then just shut itself off for no apparent reason

Then refused to boot up and even shut itelf down ; no matter how we tried it refused to be allowed to turn on; puzzled , we listened..and listened.....

the fan had stopped working and the comp WAS protecting itself from overheating :thumbsup:

once fan was sorted we were back in business again much to my relief;
Is a fan failure your solution too maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users