Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Xp Printing Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hi. I have a weird one. Can anybody help me?

When I reboot my laptop, XP frequently loads a new version of my HP laser printer, called Copy 1 or something like that. That leaves the original printer Offline and still designated with the Default check. When I print, I get an error message and cannot fix the problem. The only fix is to uninstall ALL the printers and hard boot the computer, and even this does not always fix the problem. Should I just run the Repair feature in XP with the original installation disc?

Does anybody know what's going on here? This is driving us crazy. Thank you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

I've never heard of hardware installing itself twice...since only the printer does this little trick...my guess would be that some corruption in the printer drivers and/or software is responsible.

I'd uninstall all of it (delete all printers, remove all HP printers) and download a new version of the software and drivers...and then install the printer.

If you have an XP CD...it would not hurt to run sfc /scannow (to replace damaged/missing system files).

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Duplicate deleted....Louis.

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hi I would try removing the HP software that came with the printer and let the windows connect it for you. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

Received by PM from OP: <<I will definitely try your advice. I'm new to the Forum and can't figure out how to post a reply under my topic. Can you tell me how? I want to go public with my appreciation. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.>>

At the top (on the right side of all the posts) is a REPLY button. Just click on that...type your content in...then scroll down to the middle blue section. Just above the last 10 posts...there are 2 buttons, Add Reply and Preview Post. Just click the Add Reply and it's done.

At times, it may appear to malfunction (nothing will appear to happen)...do not click it twice or you will have a duplicate post when it finally appears (happens to me all the time :thumbsup:).

Louis

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:28 AM

I used to work for HP, and I love them dearly, but sometimes their software sucks. I am currently maintaning 700 printers in a hospital, and know a little bit about this issue.

I think you have been given good advice, that is to uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall HP software. You might try downloading the latest driver from HP's website. This is usually the best way, or at least has the best chance of success.

Sometimes, if the HP software is acting real buggy, it will not uninstall properly, in which case you can contact HP and they can give you uninstalling instructions - which can be tricky and involve registry edits, or you can reimage your machine. It is unfortunate, but I have been in that position before, reimage a machine to solve an issue with HP software, reninstall the printer driver and get the same issue again anyway.

My experience has been that your issue happens most frequently when setting up the printer to work wirelessly.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users