Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows\system32\config\system File Is Corrupt. My Windows Cd Has Trouble Booting.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CID1

CID1

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

Last night I tried to watch a video on youtube, but the clip would pause after a second and no audio would play. Also one of my sub picture folders had become corrupted a few days ago. A similar problem occurred a couple weeks ago. I made a topic here and was told to schedule a chkdsk. I did and it fixed the problem. Since my computer always runs chkdsk at boot for some reason, I restarted my computer and let chkdsk run. I then got a dos looking screen that said "file windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt." My jaw hit the floor.

Using a PlayStation 3, I went online for a solution. I found a forum that said to boot up the Windows CD and press 'r' to begin the recovery. it then press '1' and type "chkdsk /p" Then type "fixboot" Finally reboot, press F8 and choose "Last known good configuration" I did all this and got the same problem, a corrupt windows\system32\config\system file message.

Then to top it off, my Windows CD stopped booting up! It would say it's loading but then take me to the same corrupt windows\system32\config\system file screen. I later read that som OEMs won't be able to get back into the Recovery Console if you do a fixboot. I don't even know what an OEM is?

Finally I got the CD to boot up to the blue setup screen by pressing F8 repeatedly. I'm going to wait on this screen for futher instructions.

Also, my current source of income if freelance data entry. I CAN'T lose this data! I don't go to questionable sites and I am very cautious. I don't think malware was the cause.

Please, you assistance will be very appreciated. How do I fix my corrupt windows\system32\config\system file without losing my data?

Specs:
Windows XP sp2
IBM ThinkPad

Anymore info you might need, just ask. If you want a link to where i got my 1st attempted fix info, just ask. Oh and what's an OEM?
CID

"There is power in numbers."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

What options are you offered on the setup screen?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hello Mark,

There are 3 options to choose from. I'll quote them:

* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

* To repaier a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

* To quite Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

/quote

And those are my options to choose from.
CID

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

I would first try sfc /scannow
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

If that doesn't work, I would try a repair install, which should leave your settings and files intact
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I would like to say with 100% certainty that your files will remain intact, but I can't

OEM is the xp disk that shipped with most box computers. From what you described you have an original XP CD

I should add that if you do the repair install, you will need the CD key
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, the sfc/scannow appears to only be accessable through windows and I don't have access to that. I try to access it through the recovery console.

As for the repair install, I can't risk data lose nor can I put myself in a position where I have to reistall my programs. I'm out of state and all my discs are storage. I won't be back for at least 3 months (longer if I can't get this fixed). I just can't take that option. Not unless I can image (ghost I think is another term) my harddrive and reimage it after an install or possible data loss process.

Any other ideas? Know how to image my harddrive without access to windows?
CID

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

You can either use a live Linux CD, that doesn't install on the computer. It runs from the CD., or you could try the Ultimate Boot CD
As you also said, slave it to another computer

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Mark
Posted Image

#7 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

I can slave a laptop harddrive? Well I have find another computer Linux CD and Ultimate CD will fix my corrupt file huh?

How come fixboot didn't work in my recovery console?

Is there away to just copy a new windows\system32\config\system file over?

How does this even happen? How does the OS just decide to fail?
CID

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

You can slave a hard drive (if it's operating properly) using a USB enclosure. Then you can plug it into another computer and access the files on it.

If the physical hard drive is having problems, then you may not be able to do it (depends on if the problems with the drive are too much for the error-correcting mechanisms that are built in).

If the problem is with the file system on the drive (most commonly NTFS, but may be FAT32) - then CHKDSK /R should fix it. If it can't fix it, then the solution would be to format the drive (which would wipe all your information out).

If the problem is with the access of the drive while booting, the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands (along with the BOOTCFG command) can be used to regain access (presuming that everything else is OK). Basically, the BIOS looks for the MBR to get information on where the Boot Sectore is - and from the Boot Sector that's where Windows will load the files necessary to boot to the OS.

After that, then you get to the missing system hive type errors. They are most often caused by file system issues - but can be due to a missing/corrupted file - or even a bad hard drive cable! You can replace the corrupted file - but then you've got to find a suitable replacement (that file is tied to the details of your system - so one from another system won't work). Then, if too many changes have been made in your system since the replacement file was created - it won't work either. That's why I usually recommend a repair install at this point (after ruling out hardware and file system problems).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

If the problem is with the access of the drive while booting, the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands (along with the BOOTCFG command) can be used to regain access (presuming that everything else is OK). Basically, the BIOS looks for the MBR to get information on where the Boot Sectore is - and from the Boot Sector that's where Windows will load the files necessary to boot to the OS.

Hello John. CHKDSK /R unfortunately did not work. I am going to attempt the above quoted. Do I simply type in FIXBOOT then Y to confirm followed by FIXMBR and then BOOTCFG or are ther more steps to it? Could this fix the problem? Will this effect my computer in away that will prevent other fixes?

How do I go about "imaging" this hardrive so that I can reimage in the event I have to repair install? What do you recommend for doing this?

Thanks!
CID

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

If chkdsk failed, then I'd have to suspect that the hard drive was the issue. Repairing the Master Boot Record (MBR), the Boot Sector, or the boot.ini file probably won't help.

You can use FIXMBR and FIXBOOT without any issues (and by answering Y for Yes when it asks you if you're sure). The BOOTCFG thing is a bit more complicated, so you'll have to read this article on it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

I would first recommend a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. There's links to the most common one's in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Imaging a faulty installation of Windows will yield a faulty image - and when you restore the image, you'll restore the faults. You'll have to access the hard drive in some way in order to image it. The easiest way is with a boot disk with an imaging utility on it - and an external drive to store the image. Acronis True Image has this ability, but it's about $50 US
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users