Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Only Boots In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Varix

Varix

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

hey guys,

I recently did a repair of windows because i could not boot the computer at all. The repair seems to have worked because now i can atleast get to the XP loading screen.

However, it is now booting in safe mode ONLY. no matter what i pick (i.e start windows normally, last known config that worked etc.) it boots in safe mode.
The setup from the repair is attempting to finish but it's unable to do so in safe mode.

I can't actually DO anything in safe mode, because the message comes up that windows setup cannot complete in safe mode so i have to restart the computer.

Could someone help me boot my computer normally so windows can finish it's setup?

Thank you :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Varix

Varix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

I should add that before i did the windows repair i did use MSconfig to boot in safe mode. Starting to think that was a mistake.

#3 Varix

Varix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

/sigh..nvm. i'm stupid :thumbsup:

The hard drive is in a different computer right now, which obviously doesn't have the right video drivers. Hence why i have a black screen in safe mode.

The computer that the hard drive belongs to is having totally separate issues with Hardware monitor encountering an error, and listing the MB temperature as something stupidly high. I think the power supply might be toast or maybe the motherboard. i really don't know much about this stuff, but i probably have a computer i can pull a power supply out of to test.

Sorry for the stupid question.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Not stupid at all, feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users