Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Other Means To Recover Data From Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matthewdf

matthewdf

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas oh ways to recover data from a hard drive. Let me tell you what is happening and what I have tried so far.

The computer was brought to me because it wouldn't boot up anymore. It is a Dell Dimension, approx. 3.5 years old. I fired it up and it will not load windows. Keeps stating to press F1 to retry. I checked in the BIOS, and it is recognizing that there is a HDD there and giving all info about it. I have tried safe mode, last known good config, and all of the same results. I was able to boot to Knoppix, but it wouldn't let me view the drive. I tried slaving the drive on another computer, and couldn't see it. I tried using an IDE to usb converter and nothing. The drive will actually spin, but it won't read. I am just seeing if anyone has any other ideas other than sending it to a data recovery firm such as Ontrack.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

If the hdd will spin this will recover the data. Cost is $100
Be aware it may take hours/days to run depending on the drive size and condition.

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Edited by perr, 03 October 2008 - 12:20 PM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

If you can't view the contents of the drive chances are the heads are damaged. You can try Easeus Data Recovery you can download a free trail version and see if it can find the files. If it does find the files you have the option of paying the registration fee so you can recover the files.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

That's usually a missing or corrupt MFT. Spinrite will recover it.

#5 matthewdf

matthewdf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

That's fantastic. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users