Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So What Can I Do With Suse?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

I'm a typical teenager computer user that suddenly felt that Bill Gates has gotten too rich, so I got this Linux SuSE 10.1 DVD and is considering to have it as my 2nd OS on my computer. I've checked out the introductions and it said it has the basic things like Word, Excel etc. -compatibality, Firefox browser...But are there other things I can do with Linux? Any games that can be played? Can I burn CD/DVDs easily with Linux?
I also don't mind learning some programming to build Linux applications...So, anyone can recommend something to do for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Because Linux is an open source OS, you can do practically ANYTHING with Linux, as long as you know how to do it. It will run on most hardware, and has a *huge* repository of apps, allowing you to install practically anything at a moments notice, without having to search the web. It comes with some of the core apps, like a web browser and office suite preinstalled, as well as an email client and lots of other things. Linux has a few games for it, most are free, and some of the ones that can't be run on Linux natively can be run through a compatibility layer such as WINE or Cedega.

Pros:
Almost no viruses written for it
Easy to install software
Free
Free (hey, it's free in more than one meaning of the word)
Extremely stable
Free community support

Cons:
It doesn't run Windows apps, at least without a compatiblity layer. (It would be like trying to play Crysis on a Mac).
Sometimes might not have drivers for your particular software

So try it out, and if you don't like OpenSUSE, there's still lots more out there to try. (Maybe Ubuntu?)

#3 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:16 AM

Thanks, but it seems that I can't use the Internet on my Linux. Here is some log in the installations: DHCP client is already running on eth0, and ifup-dhcp: DHCP client is already running on eth0. Anyone have ideas to tackle this problem?

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

First I would recommend that you upgrade to openSUSE 11 or 10.3 as 10.1 is no longer maintained. You can find the latest version here openSUSE
Second as mentioned by madman6510 there are allot of things that you can do with linux.
As to your error message we need more info. Where are you getting this error? Are you using a wired or wireless connection? When you did the installation were you able to setup the online update? What are the outputs of ifconfig or iwconfig? The first thing you need to do is update to a newer version as some of the bugs pertaining to networking have been addressed.

Edited by ice2921, 06 October 2008 - 07:22 AM.

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

Thanks, but it seems that I can't use the Internet on my Linux. Here is some log in the installations: DHCP client is already running on eth0, and ifup-dhcp: DHCP client is already running on eth0. Anyone have ideas to tackle this problem?

No experience with openSUSE but I had a similar problem using Puppy awhile back and found this command got me connected to teh webs
open a terminal and type " ifconfig eth0 up" ( without the quotation marks), That and probably do the "upgrade" thing

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 h3llh0l3

h3llh0l3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

Open up a console and type:
service network restart
This should release and renew the IP for you.
Other wise, type
yast
in the console and it would open the system configuration wizard(yast) for you, where you can configure the network settings.

#7 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks but it's not working. I think it's something in Linux that needs to be set, because my connection is fine in Windows. I managed to find the console and terminal thing but I'm pretty much still lost in my Linux, so next time can you give me directions?
By the way, are there any manual patches for 10.1 > 10.3? I would like to download it and update manually. I tried searching but was unsuccessful.

#8 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

By the way, are there any manual patches for 10.1 > 10.3? I would like to download it and update manually. I tried searching but was unsuccessful.

There are no manual patches you download the ISO from here 10.3 boot to the DVD/CD and choose the upgrade option. Try the upgrade process first as there are many fixed patches.

#9 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

You can't really do a thing with it, becasue it's virtual nothingness. Unless you print it. Or install it. Then you could do all of the things any desktop operating system can do. It's just a matter of how much it gets in your way or stays the hell out of it. And of you learning how to ask the right questions of it and push the right buttons, so to speak.

Personally I'm not a big fan of SuSE. People are, though. Those people probably do things, too, so there ya go.

#10 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

A few GBs of downloading, BitTorrent slow...
I think I'll get Ubuntu instead (requested a free CD). Waste of my money...

#11 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

Not at all its actually quite user friendly for those starting out with linux.

#12 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

I want to try re-installing Linux. How can I uninstall it? I'm using dual boot with Windows, and it's SuSE Linux 10.1

#13 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

Just format your linux partition.Also when you reinstall openSUSE you can format there as well.Make sure you select manual partioning, and not automatic; as this will ensure you have control over the format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users