Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardrive, Computer Doesn't Like It.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

I have a IBM ThinkPad R52 and I decided to upgrade the drive a bit. So, I went ahead and unscrewed the old drive out and slapped in the new one. All booted well.

But when ever I boot up my computer I get a "Error 2010: This hard drive is not supported by the manufacturer or has out dated firmware" Something like that, it only flashes for about 5 seconds.

So... I burned the .ISO to a disc from the manufactureres site and let it boot from disc. It said the firmware was up to date.

Okay...

So I tried flashing my BIOS. I do so and no go. Still an error message.

Its not a big deal, I was able to partition my drive and install Windows XP Professional no problem, but I have a suspicion that this is whats keeping me from properly installing Kubuntu.

The installation gets to 94% (Installing GRUB boot loader) and it always has a fatal error.

Any one got some clues as to what to do?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 03 October 2008 - 07:14 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

I know this might sound stupid,but have you formatted the kubuntu partition into a ReiserFS or ext2, ext3 file system? I am assuming you are dual booting XP and kubuntu. What error message are you getting when the Kubuntu install fails?

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

I am dual booting WinXP and Kubuntu, yes.

I was told default file system for LINUX is EXT3 So that's what I used.

EDIT: Even with the failed attempts, windows still sees the partition I set aside for linux as unformatted. Will windows ALWAYS see an EXT3 file system as unformatted?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 03 October 2008 - 07:42 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:55 AM

I would recommend you use gparted and format the linux partition with ReiserFS, its a better file system in the case of disaster. Make sure that the Windows partition is done first and that the Windows OS is installed first. Then create your linux partition. Linux has a hard time installing on a drive that is formatted in NTFS format. (if thats the case)

Edited by ice2921, 03 October 2008 - 07:57 AM.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

No, the partition I was installing Linux on isnt formatted.

Windows is already installed. What should I do next?

#6 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:15 AM

You need to format the linux partition with the ReiserFS. Also is Windows on the first partition, because it needs to be on the the first partition. Basically Windows needs to think that its in control hence the first partition with its MBR. The best way to dual boot as far as I know is as follows (short and sweet version)

1) Partition your drive to the appropriate size one for windows the other for linux. ( dont know what one your going to be using more so size is your call) When portioning (if using gparted) you have the option to format in ReiserFS or whatever linux FS you want to use (not NTFS).

2) Install windows first on the NTFS partition that you have created. During the install just select the NTFS partitioned space you will recognize it by the size that you have created. The other ( linux partition) may appear as unformatted or as a partitioned space.

3)After installing Windows on the appropriate partition. You pop in the linux install CD and run the install. When you get to the part of cosing where you want to the installation you chose the linux partition you have created. The other should show up as Windows something. Cant remember the exact saying. Also make sure you select the option to manually select your drive portions in the linux installation that way you can create you swap,root, and home places appropriately.

Hope this helps...

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Ok, I used Gparted to format the partition to RiserFS and now I have Kubuntu installed. But the hard drive error is still popping up.

#8 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Is the error within the os or in the POST?Also is this a large drive?I ask that because the main board may not like the size. Also are there any diagnostic programs for your drive? Just to be sure there is nothing starange going on.

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:15 AM

I think its the POST telling me.

The drive was upgraded from 40 GB to 60 GB.

I ran the hard drive diagnostic, all checked out fine.

#10 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

We need to figure out exactly where that error is coming from. Is it displayed before the grub/OS loading screen or does it show during or after the OS is loaded?

#11 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

I think this ones solved its a known issue with your model. Take a look at this IBM ThinkPad It gives a good description on the issue and a couple ways to fix it. :thumbsup:

Edited by ice2921, 04 October 2008 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users