Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Shortly After I Turn It On...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 huynher

huynher

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

I would first like to say that I appreciate any help that I am given...

Description:

When I turn on my computer, it sometimes begins to run as if it works normally. Nevertheless, upon opening some applications (I've only tried to open Firefox and iTunes), the computer freezes (i.e. I cannot click on anything, exit my internet browser, or close any windows). I have volume control on my keyboard, and when I press it, it only goes up one bar, or down one bar. When I press ctrl,alt,delete, the task manager appears, but I cannot end any processes or change any tabs... I can basically only hold down my power button to shut it down.

I am not computer literate, so I apologize if the information I provided is not very useful, but any help is appreciated. I am posting from my laptop, since it is my desktop is the one with the problem.

Thanks once again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 huynher

huynher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:14 AM

I don't think it is, considering the fact that the problem persists even without opening Firefox...

Thanks for the help anyway.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

Just hang in there, Mate?

I think you maybe moved to another Forum?

I am sure the previous Poster is not aware of the Rules yet?

:thumbsup:

#4 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

It will help a lot if you give the forum more information, such as how long this has been happening, did you recently download a new program or update? Can you tell us about your computer. What operating system, how much ram, hard drive size. Have you updated and run a antivirus or antispyware program or done a disk cleanup and defrag lately? If you need to know how to do these please report back.

#5 huynher

huynher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:50 AM

^ I haven't done any of that. I can't really, since my computer just freezes after I open an application (or sometimes even right after I log on). I have an 80 gig HP desktop. I think it's probably a virus. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:57 AM

^ I haven't done any of that. I can't really, since my computer just freezes after I open an application (or sometimes even right after I log on). I have an 80 gig HP desktop. I think it's probably a virus. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

It is fine, Mate, don't open any other Threads? Someone will move this if they agree with what you said. I will be Honest, I think it is just what you say, but just wait, otherwise it confuses us all?

:thumbsup:

#7 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:57 AM

What operating system do you have, Xp pro or home, or Vista or 2000?

#8 huynher

huynher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:58 AM

XP Home.

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:59 AM

Can you get into Safe Mode?

Edit. To get into Safe Mode boot the Computer and gently tap the F8 key continiously until a Screen comes up, select Safe Mode by toggling the direction arrows to select them press enter, on start up click on OK.

Edited by Abacus 7, 03 October 2008 - 03:06 AM.

#10 huynher

huynher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:02 AM

How do I do that? And what do I do from there?

#11 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:06 AM

Thanks. Restart your computer and keep tapping the F8 key until you go into "safe mode". Once you are in safe mode scroll down (using the arrow keys) to last known good configuration that worked. Hit enter and restart your computer. This is your first step, other suggestions involving using safe mode to use system restore to go back to a previous date when everything worked properly. There are numerous possibilities as to what caused your problem but stick with us and something will work.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:07 AM

Read my Edit above?

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

Just get it into Safe Mode, Mate, do nothing more just yet!

#14 huynher

huynher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:10 AM

Before I go and do this, what exactly do you mean by configuration, and will this mess up my computer if done improperly? Thanks for all the help, by the way.

#15 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:11 AM

We may be able to Kill two Birds with the one Stone here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users