Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Comes On But Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

I have a HP desktop that os giving me a problem. I turned it on today and it sounded like it was ready to boot and then nothing happened on the screen. I can hear the computer running, but the light is not flicking under the power button to show the computer working. I 've tried to unplug everything and plug it back in to no avail. Any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:25 AM

Hi

Does the PC go through its POST (power on self test) and can you get into the BIOS setup.
If you can, change your boot options so that you boot from CD and see it you can boot from your Windows CD. If you can do this then it looks like a problem with the hard drive or operating system on it.
If you can't even get to the BIOS setup things don't look good.
As a starter, try opening up your PC (disconnect from power first) and check the power connections to your motherboard and drives etc to see if anything has come loose. Also check the cables to the hard drives and make sure any sound/graphics/add-on cards are plugged in correctly.
Steve

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Also are there any strange sounds like "clicking", or "whine" coming from inside the PC?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Any screen on the monitor?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users