Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video? New Hard Drive, No Results.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eskEMO

eskEMO

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hi there,

My girlfriend's computer is in shambles. At first, her hard drive just went into a constant reboot and we couldn't do anything about it. After plugging my hard drive into her computer, it worked fine. We plugged her hard drive into my computer and got the constant reboot. I couldn't reformat the drive...even when I booted with the XP disc in, I won't get restarts in repair console after long enough. (Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 2.)

We purchased a new Seagate hard drive for $60 off of Newegg and just got it today. I put it into the computer, hooked the IDE/power up to it and now more problems...her monitor doesn't seem to be receiving any signal. I've tested my video card in her computer, and receive the same problem. The computer also won't shut down by holding the power button; I have to manually switch off the back switch. The most response I've gotten out of the computer was by putting the CD-ROM into IDE1; I was able to open and close the disc drive, but still got no video.

There's a red light on on her motherboard that's the debug light, but I can't find any information about it. (Checked the brand's site, the manual, etc. DFI-Street.com appears to be down so I'm not sure where else to look.) I'm wondering if it's now her motherboard that's the problem...?

Computer Specs:
DFI Infinity R582 Motherboard PCI-E
1 gigabyte of RAM (Unknown brand, can't recall)
GEForce 7600GTXOC (BFG brand)
AMD3200+ Athlon 64 Processor
Current hard drive: Seagate 160GB IDE
Old: Samsung 160GB IDE
Antec 500W Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

Sounds like the board is calling it quits, have you tested swapping motherboards?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 eskEMO

eskEMO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

No, I haven't. I don't have any spare motherboards and I don't really think trying mine would be that efficient, if you know what i mean. Do you have any idea why the hard drive AND the motherboard would go at approximately the same time?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

I think I'd run Memtest on the RAM.

When I get varying types of troublesome situations...I think "RAM" or "CMOS battery."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users