Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Pages Will Not Load.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Navaroas

Navaroas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

Problem: Certain things will not load and other problems are occuring. In P2P programs, I can not connect to peers. On Youtube, I can not load videos. I am able to check my email, but only on the account I am currently on, so I can't logout or login.

When this started: I am getting my internet from the University and they had a problem called Clean Access Agent which stopped working on my computer. Before it stopped working, everything was fine. You have to use this program to get on the internet, but the person in charge of the network decided to patch me in using my mac address. Afterwards, I find I can not load or access the things mentioned above. The school has a lab for Internet problems and they assured me that the process used to get me connected to the Internet would not cause these results.

How it was almost fixed: Someone at the lab disabled my AVG's Resident Shield and then started the computer up in Safe Mode. We both don't know why, but this worked and I was able to access the sites even when I logged back in not in safe mode. Then I decided to restart my computer. When I restarted the Resident Shield automatically activated again and I couldn't access the sites. Of course, I retried the process with disabling the resident shield and starting up in safe mode and it isn't working this time.

Computer conditions: My firewall is not up, my resident shield is down, and the computer reports being connected up to the network through a cable.

What I think is the problem: Well, I see a post called "Cannot Use Internet Properly" where usasma gives a site and asks if this may be a problem for sites with only https. I can not access this site or paypal.com which I believe is a https site.

So if this may be the problem, I would very much appreciate a fix. Thank you and I hope this information is enough.

Edit: This problem occurs in Firefox and IE.

Edit Two: I've tried the methods listed in the sticky in the top of Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications and this doesn't seem to work. I've also run a scan with Windows Defender and AVG. I believe that the problem may be outside the browser since connecting to peers on a P2P program doesn't work, but it did work during that short time before I restarted it and the problem came back.

Edit Three: (Sorry for all the edits, just trying to add information I missed) I said I could not load Youtube videos. This actually goes for many different sites that stream videos. The only site I have been to that actually will let me watch a video is Hulu.

Edit Four: Another piece of what I believe to be the big problem might be that I can not connect chat rooms. Ex:[14:24] Connecting...
[14:24] Logging in...
[14:24] -Tranquility.WyldRyde.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
[14:24] -Tranquility.WyldRyde.org- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
[14:24] Error : Closing Link: [192.251.46.22] (Ping timeout)
[14:24] Disconnected from irc.wyldryde.org

Edited by Navaroas, 03 October 2008 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Navaroas

Navaroas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

Sorry the second post, but it seems that you can only edit a post four or five times as my edit button has disappeared.

Edit Five: I have also tried to run the computer in safe mode and I have disabled Windows Defender. In my Security Center, the only thing that is green is Internet Security.

#3 Navaroas

Navaroas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Okay, since I'm not really getting any answers on this I will post again and ask

Based on this information, do you believe that the campus using my MAC Address to make it seem like I don't exist to the Clean Access Agent (a program to verify that all your windows updates and virus database is up to date) could have caused me not to be able to go to https sites?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users