Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up Programs.....are You Kidding Me?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vespizzare

vespizzare

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

First off, let me just say that this is a great "group", website help, however you want to be known.

My comment is this.....

My laptop is slow starting up. (Not an uncommon problem as I can tell by all the other posts.) I read the tutorial on what to do as far as downloading the "Autoruns" program. It is very well explained. I didn't have a problem there. However, when I went to each tab to peruse which programs "I think" should be running at startup I was astounded to see how many there are. I searched for explanations on those programs that should be running on this page - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ - as was recommended but when I did a search for many of the programs I got no results. I then went to this page as instructed - http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php - and wound up with the same results, "non found."

There has got to be a better way. NO ONE in their right mind is going to try and figure out what programs need to be running. First of all it is not a very prudent thing to do if you don't really know what you are doing. All of a sudden you could uncheck the wrong check box and ka-pluewy, no start-up at all.

This computing thing is a scam. Yes, the computer is a great utility BUT, with all the people out there that are experts in the field you would think that they would develop a more simple way for the average guy to manage his computer so that it works properly, quickly.

If anyone has a better idea or BETTER ADVICE and the links on where to get it please let me know.

Thanks,

Sam King

Edited by KoanYorel, 02 October 2008 - 11:02 PM.
Email address removed to protect from SPAM and worse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

Hi Sam and welcome to BC.

If you go to the start menu click run and type msconfig into the run box and press enter. A new window will open with tabs along the top click on the startup tab.

Under the column sartup item there should be a list of entries. If you post back the contents of the column We can then talk you through what each one does then you can decide if you want it to startup or not.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

I havent seen any programs that do a faster job. I think the main reason in that each computer has diffrent programs installed according to the users prefference. I think it would be hard to mold a program to suite those kinds of needs. just my opinion.

#4 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

hi there

a good program to help, 'startup inspector' , just type that into google or go to www.windowsstartup.com and download startup inspector. Once installed click on 'consult' it will tell you which programs your computer use at startup and which ones are required for startup, you can then click on the ones you want to keep (or need to keep) and the ones you don't want to keep.

have used it many times and its a great free program without nasties!
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#5 smohsen

smohsen

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

one of the my msconfig statup object not listed on this list
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/Cat-D.html

Domino
what this?
location is windows/ domino.exe
I am always your's

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

http://www.file.net/process/domino.exe.html

Looks to me like it's something installed by a camera/video company called Vimicro, http://www.vimicro.com/english/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...18051811AATZEkB

Louis

#7 smohsen

smohsen

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

tanks Louis
yea
a web cam attached my computer
I am always your's

#8 vespizzare

vespizzare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions / help!
I am convinced that it is something much more than just the startup items. My computer is running SUPER-SLOW in every other respect. I have a second computer that I bought used on eBay. It has XP Home edition as well and the thing is lightening fast. I am guessing that the guy that I bought the used one from deleted everything and reformatted it or something because it is such a pleasure to use.
I have a 120gig portable hard drive. I transferred all my files from the slow computer to this. I would like to start fresh and reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS but I don't think that I have the disc. Where does one go to get a reinstall / reformat disc for XP Home edition? Thanks in advance for the help!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:07 AM

The easiest and cheapest way to get a restore disk is from the manufacturer of the system. Depending on the manufacturer, it may even contain all the drivers that you need to install for proper functioning.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

Whats the make and model of your laptop?

#11 vespizzare

vespizzare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Usasma, thanks for the info.
The make and model of my laptop is a Toshiba, Satellite Pro.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

What's the model number?

Louis

#13 vespizzare

vespizzare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Part# PS610U-024K19

Thanks!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

Toshiba says: http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportS...%200%2053473812

I see that various models of Toshiba recovery CDs are being sold on eBay.

Louis

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Toshiba charges about $45 for recovery DVD's - but they've got everything that you'll need to restore the computer to factory specs in about 20 minutes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users