Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctfmon.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aoskey

aoskey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

Someone please help me. I have taken over my paren'ts computer and there is a couple things that are messed.

First, there is a Windows Validation Failure that my Windows isn't Genuine(which it is) that is on the bottom right of my xp.

Then when trying to use the Internet the CTF Loader has encountered a problem and needs to close" come up. So annoying.

Third, the Macafee Security doesnt let me open up..either I get an error or nothing happens. I even tried uninstall but not going to let me.

Seems like it is a virus but excuse me I'm a nubbie with this stuff..

Please help if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Well...my most important question is...were all these problems present before you "took over"?

If not...what antivirus and antimalware programs do you have installed and running?

When did these situations first manifest themselves?

Louis

#3 aoskey

aoskey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

yes, she just started having these issues. I just loaded EZAntivirus but McAfee had been on there however it all seems disabled when I right click the icon in the tray.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

You should only use one AV product at a time, two or more may give conflicting results. I would first start by by running some free online virus scanners.

1.Eset
2.Kaspersky
3.Bitdefender
4.Panda
5.McAfee

The next step will be to resolve the genuine windows problem, is there an option to resolve with the message?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 aoskey

aoskey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

There is an option to resolve the genuine Windows however the IE will not open due to the ctf loader error message..

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

If you can get on another computer you can try downloading FireFox and using a flash drive to install it on the other system.

Or you can try disabling the CTF Loader click start then run type msconfig now select the startup tab and remove the check mark near ctf loader then ok and restart
Regards,

Alan.

#7 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

I don't mean to be irrelevant to several of the problems you're having, but the "Genuine Windows Validation Failure" thing generally means that you've installed Windows with a bad key. From past experience I recall that Windows gives you 30 days to give a legit key before locking you out from Windows completely.

So I mean, wouldn't this mean that this computer has just had a fresh copy of Windows installed on it, and if it has, is the copy genuine? In my opinion one of the reasons your computer is acting weird could be because Windows was installed properly or there is/are file(s) missing.

Just trying to think outside the box, y'know.

Posted Image

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

So I mean, wouldn't this mean that this computer has just had a fresh copy of Windows installed on it, and if it has, is the copy genuine?

Not necessarily, I have heard that this problem can arise by (in some cases) by performing a windows update.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Well...let us not forget that there's always telephonic activation of a system...for situations where Internet access is not feasible.

I've done it a few times, it's painless and quick.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users