Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rw Drive Is Not Being Recognized As Rw

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tsherma

tsherma

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I have a 5 year old Compaq Presario and I suddenly can't burn any CDs. The disk works fine for reading and it even looks fine in device manager. But anytime I try to burn a music CD it doesn't work. I have tried Windows Media Player, Nero, and Music Match Jukebox and all of them fail.
I have attached a few screenshots. I would apreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tsherma

tsherma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

No luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled the device and everything looks fine but I still can't burn.
I can't find any other way to test the burner.

Any other suggestions???

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Try burning at a slower speed.

FWIW: "It doesn't work" is not exactly what I would call "informative." Where/what are the error messages from Nero?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2008 - 04:28 PM.

#5 tsherma

tsherma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

Try burning at a slower speed.

FWIW: "It doesn't work" is not exactly what I would call "informative." Where/what are the error messages from Nero?

Louis

Louis,
I realize "it doesn't work" is not informative, so that is why I included some descriptive screenshots. If you see in the NERO screenshot, it just doesn't have my CD RW drive listed as target, but when I clicked for details it did in fact show my CD drive.
An that is what my problem is. It is not an issue of burning at a slower speed. It never attempts to burn at all, it basically acts as if I don't have a CD RW drive at all and it never even kicks off the burn. It doesn't matter if I use Windows Media, Nero, or and other software. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive and it looks fine (also in screenshots).

If there is any other specific details I can provide, please let me know and I would be more than happy to get it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

If the burner is original equipment...I'd have to say that it's lived a good life.

The only instance where I've ever seen burner software not recognize a working optical drive...is when I tried to use the OEM version of Nero (that accompanies new drives) with a totally different drive. I finally just bought a retail version of Nero (which recognizes any drive).

The fact that you've tried different burn programs and each has a problem with the drive is pretty strange, in light of the fact that XP recognizes said drive.

To refute/prove...I would simply borrow (temporarily) an optical drive, install same and see if the recognition problems remain.

It's either the O/S or the hardware...should be easy to find out which.

Louis

#7 tsherma

tsherma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

If the burner is original equipment...I'd have to say that it's lived a good life.

The only instance where I've ever seen burner software not recognize a working optical drive...is when I tried to use the OEM version of Nero (that accompanies new drives) with a totally different drive. I finally just bought a retail version of Nero (which recognizes any drive).

The fact that you've tried different burn programs and each has a problem with the drive is pretty strange, in light of the fact that XP recognizes said drive.

To refute/prove...I would simply borrow (temporarily) an optical drive, install same and see if the recognition problems remain.

It's either the O/S or the hardware...should be easy to find out which.

Louis

Thanks for your suggestions, and that is what I was afraid of. This is an old PC (five years) and it is getting to that point where I have to debate fixing things, or just buying a new pc.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Well...these days an optical drive is not overly expensive, so I would never consider a new system just because of that.

If you are ready for a new system these days...you have lots of ways to go. The most inexpensive (IMO) way to go would be a motherboard/CPU combo, with DDR2 RAM. DDR2 is dirt cheap, sellers are pushing quad-cores when there's many duo-core systems that are good buy...and it just doesn't take much to change a motherboard and CPU out or install same in a $35 case.

Just realize that you have options to be explored :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 tsherma

tsherma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:51 AM

Well...these days an optical drive is not overly expensive, so I would never consider a new system just because of that.

If you are ready for a new system these days...you have lots of ways to go. The most inexpensive (IMO) way to go would be a motherboard/CPU combo, with DDR2 RAM. DDR2 is dirt cheap, sellers are pushing quad-cores when there's many duo-core systems that are good buy...and it just doesn't take much to change a motherboard and CPU out or install same in a $35 case.

Just realize that you have options to be explored :thumbsup:.

Louis

good point, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users