Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jobs Get Stuck In Queue On Shared Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NCJason

NCJason

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

I have 2 identical emachines desktop computers running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 with all the updates connected to the network with wireless cards. Computer #2 has a HP LaserJet 2600n printer attached and shared. I can see the printer on Computer #1 and get it to install. I can print from Computer #2 with no problem. If I try print from Computer #1 the job just sits in the print queue with the status of “Printing” but the job is never actually printed. Additional jobs from either computer are forced to sit in the queue behind the “stuck” print job. If I restart Computer #2 or restart the print spooler on it, all of the jobs that are in queue at that time print. If I try to print from Computer #1 after the queued jobs have been printed the new job will get “stuck” again. I can see all of the print jobs in the queue on both computers and I never get any errors.

I have tried changing the setting for which computer does the spooling and if it should print after the last page is spooled or start printing immediately and it has not had any noticeable effect. I have had the printer connected and shared on both computers and had he same results.

I welcome any suggestions that my resolve the issue.

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi Jason.
It sounds almost like an ip conflict, however a quote from HP:

Each computer that has the HP Color LaserJet 2600n printing-system software installed has access to all of the printer features over a network connection. This access is through on-board networking that comes standard on the HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer.
Networking is available for Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 only.

That said, have a look at the three articles here.
You might want to try the driver and firmware updates for vista if all else fails. You can get to them from the link above.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 October 2008 - 08:32 AM.

#3 NCJason

NCJason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The two computers that use the printer use DHCP and the printer is not connected directly to the network, it is shared by a USB connection so I am not sure how it could be an IP issue.

I have tried printing with the firewall and anti-virus disabled on both computers with no success. uninstalled the printer and removed all of the associated registry entries, drivers and software and reinstalled on both computers with the same issue. I made sure that I have the newest Vista drivers and printer firmware installed.

Jason

#4 jana

jana

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

In case you are using WinXP check the shared network connection. In case you are using IP then there is an IP conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users