Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help,not A Clue What To Do

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 geoff18588

geoff18588

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hello,
i was wondering if anyone could help me.My brother turned off the computer last night without shutting it down now i am having all sorts of problems.Im not really that good with computers and am at a total loss what to do.

When i turned the computer on it came up with the screen oferin me to start windows in safe mode,safe mode with network,safe mode with something else im sorry i cant rember and start windows normally and with last used settings.Ive tried all of them with no luck it goes to the windows xp screen with the blue loading bat as usual then seems to restart and go straight back to the black screen with the we apologise for any convinience text.

I havent got a clue what to do.

If anyone can give me any help it would be great.Ill try to answer any questions i can to the best of my ability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi geoff18588, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you tried to access Safe Mode immediately after the POST? For most computer you press F8 repeatedly, this must be done before Windows begins to load. Most people will just start tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer starts.

If you can open in Safe Mode try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Do have the Windows installation CD? If you can't access Safe Mode as suggest and have the CD, try the following method.

Start the computer and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...re/restore.mspx

It would help to know what the make and model of your computer, if it's a custom build it would help to know the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

I cant access safe mode at all.Cant find the instalation CD either.Every option i seem to choose it just restarts itself and goes back to that screen.
when i click safe mode it just comes up with loads of text saying multi(o)disk(o)partition(2)\windows......

then goes back to the screen.

oh the computer make is spirit

on the back it sais Model/Ref: FIC-GE-PTM66-AA
not sure if thats any more help.

Edited by geoff18588, 02 October 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#4 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

I cant access safe mode at all.Cant find the instalation CD either.Every option i seem to choose it just restarts itself and goes back to that screen.
when i click safe mode it just comes up with loads of text saying multi(o)disk(o)partition(2)\windows......

#5 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Follow these procedures to access safe mode properly:
1) start with the computer off
2) power on the computer while tapping the F8 key
3) select safe mode at this point you dont need networking
4) as dc3 said:

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

What screen are you talking about here the safe mode selection screen?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Did you try the F8 method that I had suggested?

The information that you provided doesn't get any response when I google it. Do have the user's manual that came with the computer, it would have this information.

Do you know what operating system you are using, XP or Vista? Do you know what version it is, Home, Pro, ... Do know if this is a OEM or retail version?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

#8 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

sorry guys for posting the same thing multiple times,internet connection kept going.Ive tried the f8 thing and as soon as i click safe mode it comes up with windows xp and the blue bar underneath then the computer restarts.Because of the 30 second timer on the black screen if i left it it would just keep restartin itself over again.
Very confusing.I cant get onto anythink other then if i press f10 or f8 on startup or the black screen with the diffrent options. :thumbsup:

#9 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

If you press the delete or escape key during boot can you get to the BIOS menu?. It would help to get a little more information about your machine.

#10 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

im on the BIOS menu,what do you need to know?

#11 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

see if it gives you any detail on the make or model of you CPU. Also there may be option for a disk repair in there as well.

#12 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

Sorry for the quality,here is a video of what happens when i select safe mode.All the text appears then it restarts and goes back to the screen.
Posted Image

#13 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

Ok did you see anything in the BIOS about your computer? Any repair options there for the HDD?
Since it was shut down so abruptly it may be a hard drive issue as well. Do you know what type of Hard Drive you have? Any luck finding any OS disks?

Edited by ice2921, 02 October 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#14 geoff18588

geoff18588
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

got this screen up

http://www.euclideanspace.com/tech/pc/shut...os/biosMain.gif

so click on advanced bios features

the only mention of HDD is

"HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability"

its currently disabled. Will that make any diffrence?

#15 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

What options do you have for PC Health ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users