Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text Appears Very Slowly When Typing. Also, Getting Access Denied Error In Msconfig Even As Administrator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jems1304

jems1304

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

For a couple weeks now the text on my laptop appears very, very slowly when I type (it took nearly 10 minutes to type this thread)--regardless of what program or browser I am using at the time. I went in to try and change the Startup settings in msconfig, thinking this might help the situation, and I got an error message that read "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes." Since I AM logged on as the administrator, I thought it possible that I have some type of malware. I ran a scan on Panda and hijackthis and have copies saved on my desktop if anyone needs to see them...

Does anyone a) know what might be causing the slow text when I type, :thumbsup: how I can fix the administrator issue, and c) whether or not either one is caused by a malware? The only thing I can think of that I've done differently in the last couple of weeks that might possibly be affecting my system is I've been running on the Beta version of Google Chrome and I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions reader (for eBooks). I've since uninstalled both and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I greatly appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Did the Panda scan find anything?

FYI - we don't allow HiJackThis logs in this forum. If you'd like to post one, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction. This thread will be closed while the HiJackThis log is being worked.

You can also try this free, online scan in case anything has gotten by your current protection: http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jems1304

jems1304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

not sure what you mean by "being worked on". i ran the scan and saved a copy but wasn't sure what to do with it then. is there someone at trendmicro who is working on it? i didn't realize. i just read on another forum that you should download and run a scan but it didn't say what to do after you ran it. :thumbsup: same thing with the panda scan. i ran it and saved it but now don't know what to do with it. i have no idea what all the stuff in it means.

i've run numerous other scans--housecall, live one, mcafee--and nothing malicious shows up. i just can't change my startup settings. and the text is really slow (which is just annoying, not critical).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

What was meant by this is that if you do post a HJT log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you will then be requested to not post anywhere else other than that forum, and don't take any other advice than that of the HJT team member that is helping you with your lolg. This statement below is what usually is posted in a topic if it is found that member is still requesting help after posting a HJT log. I hope this helps.

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: (link to topic). Because you have this log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

Edited by dc3, 02 October 2008 - 11:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jems1304

jems1304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

oh yes, I see now. i did post something on that forum but didn't know you couldn't post anywhere else so i will wait and see what they see and post back here later.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

You have done several online scans and nothing malicious has shown up - so the HiJackThis logfile probably isn't needed.
And you're probably not infected - so that answers your 3rd question from above :thumbsup:

The answers to the other 2 questions may/may not be related - and it's gonna take a bit of troubleshooting to figure it out. When I usually see these symptoms, I think of malware. Have you recently removed any malware from the system? It's possible that the removal of malware could cause these issues.

Next, I'd suggest opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Then click on the View menu item
Then on the Select columns selection.
In the next window, put a checkmark next to "IO Reads" and click OK
Then be sure to click the box to "Show processes for all users" in the lower left.
Then double click on the IO Reads column to sort it by the IO Reads.

Are the items at the top of the list significantly larger than the rest of the stuff? If so, let us know the Image name of the largest one's.

You can also double click on the Memory column and the CPU column to see if anything doesn't look right there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jems1304

jems1304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi! Sorry for the delay, just got home. Yes, there is a big difference in the range of I/O Reads. The largest are 72,000 (lsass.exe), 65K (csrss.exe), 45K (McSACore.exe), 31K (scvhost.exe), 20K (McNASvc.exe), and then the rest are relatively low numbers. When I check the Memory Usage, the largest are iexplore.exe (71K) and Mcshield.exe (51K). When I check CPU, everything shows up as 00, 01 or 02 except for System Idle Process which is around 98. To answer your question, I have not removed any malware lately but is it possible that McAfee might have removed it in a routine scan and I just didn't know it?

Thanks!
Jamie

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

Do you have an HP printer or HP all in one (scan, print, copy)?
The message above seems to be something that is seen when using HP printers.
I'm not sure exactly which box in the message you need to click on, but try one of them. You'll get another message, click the same thing again. After that you should see the You need to reboot message.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 October 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I'd first suggest uninstalling McAfee (that's the Mc.... files) and see if it helps. Download a fresh copy of whatever anti-virus you choose to use - as the copy that you have may have become corrupted.

#10 jems1304

jems1304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I've read that the HP printer driver can cause this same problem but I do not use a printer with my laptop and do not have any printer drivers installed so unfortunately that was not the problem. Just to be sure, I checked the registry for the HP printer driver file name in hopes it might be there so I could manually disable it but it's not there.

I could try to uninstall McAfee and see if that helps but will I be able to reinstall it using my current subscription? It's a three year subscription, which I renewed in the last six months, so I'd hate to have to pay for it again.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:39 AM

I'd suggest checking with McAfee tech support for this procedure. Basically you'll need the installation media that you used to install the program, and a means of verifying that it's your copy of the program (usually a product key/code).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users