Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

filename definitions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcgehee1

mcgehee1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

:thumbsup: I use Zone Alarm for protection from unknown programs on the internet trying to access my computer and a cact30.exe program comes up. What kind of file is this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

Where is it located?
Posted Image

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

A .exe file trying to access the internet is not unusual. For instance, if you use an instant messaging program like ICQ then you will see that ICQ.exe is trying to access the internet.

Having said that, the .exe extension marks a file as an executable along with .com, .sys and .bat. Those are the biggies but others are included such as .pif, .scr, .vbs,. etc. An executable file is capable (and mostly does) install or run programs. For another example, we use HiJack This.exe all the time around here but that program is benign and acceptable. When you boot your computer you execute an .exe file (if you have anti-virus installed) for your AV. In my case, since I use AVG, I execute Avgcc.exe and two others, with no action on my part.

But you need to be careful about which ones you let out until you know what it is. So the short answer is to not allow any file to access the internet without knowing what it is and where its coming from.

Here's a tip. Do a search for files and folders and search for your suspect file. As Bobbi Flekman says, see where it is on your hard drive. What folder is it in? Thats a good clue to what it is and may be trying to do.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Nothing was returned when googling the file, but the closest match was act30.exe, which appears to be a file used with an MSDN package.

I wouldn't recommend letting cact30.exe access the internet because nothing is known on it, but that's just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users