Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing Details On A Music File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I've recently changed to Vista. In XP, if I "recorded" a song, I could right click the files, go to properties, and edit the details (artist, album, genre, etc.). In Vista, I can't find any way of changing these things. It is not a copy protected music file; its a music file that was recorded on my laptop. The name of the file is correct, but artist, album, genre, etc., are all blank.

How do I edit these files in Vista?

I opened them up in Adobe Bridge, and put in metadata, but this doesn't show up in the file information under properties.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

I would expect that you'd have to run Windows Explorer as an administrator to do this.

To do this, go to Start and type in "windows explorer" (without the quotes). At the top of the search box will be an entry for Windows Explorer. Right click on that and select "Run as administrator" - then try going to the files in Windows Explorer and editing their properties there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

Okay. I thought I already thought I was an administrator, but I went ahead and did that. When I clicked properties, strangely the metadata that I had input in Adobe Bridge was there, though I had done it last night, and it wasn't there afterwards or this morning after a reboot. So that's good.

But . . . I am still unable to edit the fields in Windows. And frankly it's a bit of a nuisance to have to open up another program in order to do it. It was so easy in XP! A simple right click did it! There must be a way.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi

Have you tried to edit the Tags within Windows Media Player?
Steve

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

In Vista everyone acts as a standard user until it comes time to elevate to administrative privileges.
An administrator just gets a prompt to elevate, while a standard user has to provide administrator credentials in order to elevate.

On my Vista system I can do what you're doing and can edit the tags in the Details tab by clicking on them. This was using a .wma file on my system. Do you have ownership of these files (were they recorded in your account on that system)? Do you have any security programs that may be preventing these changes?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Okay. I've figured out what was wrong. I was right-clicking to get to properties. But if I left-click there's a toolbar at the bottom that has editable details. Right clicking still doesn't work, but that hardly matters now. Vista is different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users