Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java And Java Script

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hello,

I need to know what will be the appropriate Java and Java Script that I will need for the Kaspersky Free on line scanner to work for my PC.

I tried the on-line scan but it will not work unless I have Java and Java script, there are add ons on the page but I am not sure what they are or if they pertain to the Java D/L, so I did nothing.

I am having some strange things going on like, my BSOD isn't working I have no security center, my event log is not listing errors !
I reinstalled recently from a SP2 upgrade disc, but according to windows update I do not have SP2, although it is listed in add and remove. I turned on Windows automatic updates, it downloaded something over night and then installed it this morning, I went to the Windows update site, and scanned for updates and it wants to install SP2.

I tried installing AVG,

It is was unable to install because
Windows OS does not support all the functions required for
correct operation.
The supported systems (Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup Pack
and higher are listed on our Web Site:

Does this mean I need SP4 ?

I had AVG working fine, ( last week ), on my system prior to a window update D/L, then, something went wrong , used diagnostic start up and something else went wrong, I lost my restore points and had to re-install. not having an installation disc I used sp1 restore and sp2 upgrade,

No Firewall etc.

Outlook express is problematic, the box below my folder display is empty there used to be e-m, addresses there !

In case of more problems, . .Can I go online in the safe mode, if so please tell me how I believe I have tried this before ?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CPQ29532311022
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model DSDT
System Type X86-based PC

Can't see any alternative but to D/L sp2, and see if I can upgrade, I just hope that some piece of dirt isn't infecting my e-mail persons or some other abuse.

Edited by Jove, 02 October 2008 - 12:24 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

I have sp2 back on and installed and restarted firewall and AVG, need to know about Java and Java Script,

need AVG mail scan activation plug in.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

The Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp should be fine.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thanks nigglesnush,

I'll check that out, previously, I have been having a problem with Java and deciding what it was that I needed until the message topic came up through Kaspersky. So thats what it gave me was Java and Java Script at one time on one of my systems I was running the Sun versions and the number updates, i think they were, something like, 4,5,and 6.

I have not been able to find that so I'll try your page.

I have this for Avast, and would appreciate it if anyone can explain the use of Add and Remove , for the installation of this Plug-in, I don't think I have ever installed in that way, and it is not familiar to me, where and how do I select the component?

I suppose that it matters, since they noted to do this, if I hadn't seen this I would have just downloaded to the desktop and installed.

1292:
How to add the plug-in for newly installed and supported e-mail client

If you install a new e-mail client, supported by AVG Free Edition which is already installed on your PC, it is necessary to add required plug-in using the latest installation file of AVG Free Edition program. You can download it here.

Run the downloaded file, select Add/Remove Components option and continue to the screen with available components. Select the component you want to install and finish the process.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:52 AM

What email client are you using?
Do you have Avast and AVG on the same system?

I have this for Avast, and would appreciate it if anyone can explain the use of Add and Remove , for the installation of this Plug-in, I don't think I have ever installed in that way, and it is not familiar to me, where and how do I select the component?

I'm a bit confused, what exactly are you trying to do?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

Sorry to confuse you, at first I was baffled because I don't think I have ever used the Add Programs in the Add and Remove from the control panel before, as per instructions per AVG for mail scanner. I was wondering if that is necessary since most programs can be D/L to the desk top and run from there.

I recently posted in Am I infected the MBAM log I had 73 infections, and will continue to scan using other scanners,, I am also going to post for a Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_, . . .
I need a driver revision per Windows error report ?

Java stopped running in the middle of the D/L ? so I'll be wanting to get that back on track.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

There is an option to install software through the control panel I believe(never used it :thumbsup: ) If the file you are trying to install is a .exe file you should be able to double click it to make it run.

If you are finding malware you should post for help in the Am I Infected forum
Regards,

Alan.

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Nigglesnush,

I got it (em scanner), up and running, yes I posted there.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thats good to hear :thumbsup: