Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scottishlass

scottishlass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hi everyone
I recently bought a new phone (from my mum) the Nokia N80 and when I try to install the CD tht came with the phone it comes up with an error message saying the msvcr80.dll is missing.

I have tried downloading this missing fil from the internet from various sites after reading some problem pages etc but when it downloads windows asks me what created this program and wants me to either search the internet for it (which doesn't work) or select the program from a list (which doesn't work either)

a friend suggested doing the following:
click on start
command prompt
and enter
sfc/SCANNOW

i tried that and it didnt do anything so im really getting to my wits end now - i really need to somehow get this file back onto my laptop so i can upload music etc to my new phone. I have also tried a system restore to the furthest away date which also didn't work!

can someone out there please help me out!

Edited by garmanma, 02 October 2008 - 10:26 AM.
edited email address-mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zomaian

Zomaian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Download it here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr80 - install it and try to run the disc

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

sfc /scannow

Notice the space between the c and the /
It's important
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

The command did not work...because it's typed wrong (if you typed it as you have here).

It should be sfc /scannow (sfc-space-/scannow).

It's designed to replace missing system files.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2008 - 11:09 AM.

#5 scottishlass

scottishlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

okay i've redone the sfc thing with a space in the command prompt box just incase i missed that last time.

the past few times i've done this it completes what it's doing but disappears with no message or anything afterwards so i dont know if it actually has done anything or not!

I also tried downloading the file again from the link you sent me - it downloads fine but when I try to open it windows wants me to either search on the internet for the program or select it from a list - neither of which worked

help!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Ummm...from what I read...what you really need is to have MS.NET installed, the file is provided by that program.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr80

And...you don't open files like that...you merely place them where they belong. Be sure to read the comments by Martynl.

Louis

#7 scottishlass

scottishlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

okay so i will now go and download the dll file but where do i place it then?
can i also ask how do you do screen shots on a laptop cause it would be easier to show you messages perhaps than trying to explain them as i am pretty computer illiterate (as you may have guessed)

many thanks for the help so far!
fingers crossed i, with your help, figure out what the heck to do!

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

To take a screen shot press the Prt scrn button then open Microsoft paint and right click on the blank area select paste. Then you can save the file and then upload it to a site such as photobucket http://photobucket.com/ then post the link here.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hi scottishlass :flowers:

My advice is not to mess around with that file you downloaded--for the most part, downloading replacement files from a site like that is very risky. Plus there are indications that it is a beta and not recommended anyway by Martyn Lovell who should know what they are talking about.

Most of the information he posted is reproduced here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...Jo7OBv-AVg6VWSw

Sounds like different versions of this one file is what is causing the problem, so introducing another that may be yet another version won't help.

What I get from that article is that there are two solutions that are easiest:

1. Install the .NET Framework (if you don't have it installed already). This should take care of putting the most recent versions of the file in it proper folders. The main drawback to this is that the framework is a very large download and takes a long time for those of us on dial up. But a lot of programs are going to .NET and it has some security features that will be beneficial.

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/why-...missing-errors/

2. Call Nokia--details of exactly what file and version of that file and where they are supposed to be located in order for their software to work is something they need to straighten out.

I would give a link, but if you are a true Scottish lass and located in the UK :thumbsup: , my US links won't work for you. There is an international one here (maybe): http://www.nokia.com/

I would try installing .NET first. Check any manuals you may have gotten with the phone first and see if there is any mention that it is required. Unfortunately .NET has been around long enough that some inconsiderate software developers just assume everyone has it installed now.

If you can not then install the software after installing .NET, try calling Nokia.

Edited by Papakid, 02 October 2008 - 09:27 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users