Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Really Bad Noise Coming From My Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chance

chance

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:51 AM

Hello everyone:)

I was roaming around the internet this morning and suddenly, this horrible noise started coming from the back of my computer.....sounds like a fan, but when I put my ear to it, it seems like it's coming from the area right below the fan. Are there 2 fans? I doubt this is relevant but my operating system is Windows XP home sp 3 and I have an EMachine T5010 desktop. I'll try and get back to this post but I don't know if my computer is going to hold out and keep working and this is my only computer so we'll see. If I don't return, that means my computer died :thumbsup: I would appreciate any ideas on what I could check or do.

Thanks,

Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Are there 2 fans?

There could be up to 4.
1 or 2 in the power supply, 1 "optional" below the power supply at the back (see photo below) and one on the cpu itself (being the most critical of all). The only way you're going to pin-point it is to power down, remove the cover, power up and find out which one as fast as you can, power back down and replace it. By power down I mean unplug. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Edited by HitSquad, 02 October 2008 - 08:17 AM.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Could also be cables rubbing the fan blades or could just be dirty. I would start by making the computer all shiny and new looking again http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/ Even if it doesn't stop the noise as long as you do it right it can only help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Smurfgod has a good point...I often inadvertently push my cables into the fan and get the irritating impact of such...but I keep my covers off, so I take care of it pretty quickly.

As suggested by HitSquad, a look is worth a thousand words when such occurs.

Louis

#5 chance

chance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

Well, I took the cover off of the back and there was definitely alot of cleaning that needed done. I powered it up without the cover on and my best guess is that the sound is coming from the fan behind the holes (see pic above). HitSquad, I believe you said this was an 'optional' fan? Is it not necessary to replace this particular fan?

Jen

I wanted to add that after I posted this, I was looking around the board and the noise stopped....looks like all fans are running, so not sure what's going on. :thumbsup:

Edited by chance, 02 October 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Fan bearings can go bad, producing vibration/noise.

Although it may not be mandatory to replace any fan...I think that I'd replace anything that used to work...whenever it quit working...in a system that was working properly.

FWIW: Case fans cost less than $10, don't even require screws (I super-glue mine). Installing them is not a mental challenge, neither is removing them. You want the 120mm, not the 80mm.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811998121

Louis

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

Gotta agree with louis about the replacement thing. Just wanted to add that you want to pay attention to which direction the fan is blowing when you take it out and put it in the same way. A good 120mm fan will push more air than a good 80mm fan, but it might not fit. i've got 3 120mm fans i can't use because of the way the case and heatsink are set up.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

HitSquad, I believe you said this was an 'optional' fan? Is it not necessary to replace this particular fan?

Optional means optional from the factory. Some came with the fan, some did not.
If it's there and bad, replace it.

I was roaming around the internet this morning and suddenly, this horrible noise started coming from the back of my computer.....sounds like a fan,

Typicly fans will get louder gradually over a long period of time due to dust\dirt buildup.
If it just starts screaming all of a sudden, chances are good the bearings are gone and the fan should be replaced.
If you just claen it up, it may go away for now but will come back.
That particular fan is the least critical one but they are so cheap and easy to install it's not worth trying to save the old one.

#9 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

It may not even be the fan could be the hard drive going. If it is your fan you may be able to check in your BIOS to see if the core temperature is fluctuating, and that your fan is working to the appropriate speed. Just my two cents. Cleaning is important.

#10 chance

chance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! It's good to know that those fans aren't expensive....I just hope it's not the hard drive as you were saying, Ice :thumbsup: I've got the model number off of the fan (says it's a Foxconn DC12V), so in the next week or so I'll go get one. It looked easy to replace I'm just not sure I like the idea of unplugging and plugging something on the motherboard....makes me nervous, lol.

Last question and I'm done....do you think it will be okay to run the computer with the fan doing that until I get another one? It's really loud when I first start it up, then after 5-10 minutes, the sound just stops. I only run it for a few minutes when I use it.

Jen

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

It's your system, you take the risk.

Unless someone here has powers beyond the norm...no one can answer that.

Regarding the fan...you don't need an exact replacement...in fact, the newer fans are probably better than your original.

Just get a 120mm case fan that you happen to like, for whatever reason. It will move air, which is all that's required.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users