Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router / Network Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lobotomy-

lobotomy-

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

First of all, the architecture:

modem - router - switch - pcs (about 13)

Ip's are provided by the router to each pc, can go online.

Problem:
about every 5 minutes none of the pc's can get online (internet fails). When navigated to network connections, lan, support, repair, this problem is solved.
After +-5 minutes, it occures again.
Also, when I want to navigate to the router (192.168.2.1), I get a timeout (+ internet fails immediately until repair (which, when I tried naviging to the site, commonly fails the first two times)). 'ping 192.168.2.1' in command results in timeouts.

When I completely reset the router by unplugging power for about 30sec-1min, it works nice for about half an hour. (can get to http://192.168.2.1, ping 192.168.2.1 is ok)

I also tried:

>arp -d *
>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.2.168 --- 0x2
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.2.1 00-00-00-00-00-00 invalid

Waited a few seconds and then the arp -a resulted in a valid mac for the router.

I never get a balloon about connection/ip/.. lost. Repair does the trick...
Anyone know a sollution/source of problem?

Regards

Edited by lobotomy-, 02 October 2008 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

If you bypass the switch and just use one or more computers on the router, do you continue to have the problem?

#3 lobotomy-

lobotomy-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

yes.
i just updated the router firmware, which didnt help.

(smc 7004vbr v.2 EU)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users