Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files With Service Pack 3!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

I recently performed a system File Checker using sfc/scannow. It came back with "files that are required to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache". Insert your service pack 3 CD. Since I installed service pack 3 on my DEll Inspiron 9300 notebook I have had no problems. This was a surprise to me to get this error during the system check. Should I be worried about this and do I need to fix this. I wasn't aware that there was a service pack 3 CD. I got the update from the Microsoft website. Should I have waited for my windows update to show SP3 update, rather than download it from the Microsoft website. I am running Windows XP Media edition. Suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

In most cases you'll have to slipstream the copy of SP3 into your Windows OS disk - and then use that to complete the SFC.EXE scan.
As an alternative, you may be able to use the instructions here ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ ) for pointing SFC.EXE at your i386 folder (if you have one).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

I think SP3 was not meant for Windows Media Edition. But I maybe wrong.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

I think you are right! I read in another forum that SPK 3 was not meant for Windows XP Media Edition. What shall I do. Is it easy to revert back to Service Pack 2. Is there any danger in leaving it the way it is with SPK 3 on my computer. Help.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

If you installed SP3 as standalone update (download SP3 EXE and installing it) then probably you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs. The original files should be restored back to SP2. My suggestion is, after uninstalling SP3, run SFC check again so it can restore original XP files from your XP CD.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d...otes.htm#ID0ECG

Windows XP Media Center Edition

This issue affects Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002.

If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction.

To avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3.

If this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

FWIW: Aren't there two versions/editions of WMC, the 2002 version...and the 2005 version?

That note only refers to 2002 version.

FWIW: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3257

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

The link above is from the SP3 Release Notes and no mention is made of issues with MCE 2005.
The download page for SP3 states that MCE is a supported OS.

Here's some posts that claim that slipstreaming SP3 into a MCE 2005 disk aren't supported:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...1&SiteID=17
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...2&SiteID=17
But the "authority figure" who makes this statement hasn't provided any links to substantiate the claim.

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for all of the replies to my forum question! My computer is running XP MCE 2002, therefore I should not have downloaded SPK 3. I have no idea how I would have known this as the download went through fine and my computer has worked as normal since updating to SPK3. I decided to uninstall SPK3 as it obviously had some missing files, according to the spf/scannow i performed. After I did this I re-performed the spf/scannow and suprisingly came up against the same issue for SPK 2. Now it says you are missing files from SPK 2 and you should reinstall the CD. What is going on. I just want to run the scannow without having this error message pop up that I need to insert the CD for service pack 2. I am reading alot about using a bootable CD for the service pack updates. I just used windows update to perform this. Ideas. Thanks

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

I do have a SP1 and SP2 File in my C:/I386 folder. SP1 seems to have two files that SP2 doesn't have. They are cscdll.dll (offline network agent) and rdbss(system file). Should I have both of these files in my SP2 folder. Is this why my spc/scannow is saying I need to use the SP2 disk to install the missing files. It's tempting to not touch anything as I have not noticed any decrease in performance due to missing these files from SP2. Would uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling it likely solve my problem, or is it likely to keep saying I am missing files from SP2. When you perform an update to a higher Service pack, do you do this via the Windows Update tool in all Programs or should it be done using a CD. Hope this is not too confusing. Thanks.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

FWIW: After a user has installed XP...and updated it beyond the level included on the CD used for the install...in order to do a repair install or run sfc /scannow (each of which installs files from the XP CD), the user must ensure that the CD reflects the XP update level...which the system now has.

I install XP from my OEM XP (no SPs at all) CD. I then update for SP1. I want to run sfc /scannow. Before I do that, I must either borrow a XP SP1 CD or do what is called slipstreaming (updating) of the XP CD.

OK...I now have updated to SP3 (which includes SP2 files) on my original OEM XP. I run into a system problem I've created because I chose to do something I should not have. My current version of XP Home is SP3, but my CD still reflects SP1. I need to do a repair install.

I go to the nLite website...refer to my orignal CD with SP1 slipstreamed into it...download a copy of the SP3 file which is used for network installs...and I follow directions and create a new slipstreamed XP CD which now has SP1, SP2, and SP3 included.

I proceed with my repair install, rectifying my previous mistakes...my system works well again :thumbsup:.

There are a zillion references available on the Web about slipsteaming...you can read those at your leisure. I will post a link to a tool that makes slipstreaming about as easy as life can be...all that's required is the ability to read and follow instructions. If a user comes across something he/she is unsure of...this forum is a good place to ask.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#12 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for your detail explanation! I ready through part 1,2 & 3 on the NLite website. I just want to make sure I am on the right track before I go ahead and make the changes. My computer is a Dell 9300 laptop running XP Media Edition 2002. I do not own any CD related to Install or a repair CD. Would my computer have come with SP 1 or do they come with nothing and you have to choose to update if you go along. I tried running sfc /scannow, and it says you need to have an SP 2 CD to install the missing files. What's my next step. Do I need to find a CD of SP2 and then use Nlite to slipstream this into my I-386 folder. Hope I am making sense. what is the negative to missing files with a service pack. Doesn't seem to be any decrease i performance. Appreciate your help.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Well...if you have no XP CD, you cannot use nLite. If you read the prerequites, you will see that it requires an XP CD.

The negative to missing system files...may be something, may be nothing. Depends on what the files do which are missing and whether a user needs for that to be done on the system. Just bear in mind that files for an operating system...are not created/developed so that they can be "not needed."

Since you have a Dell, it seems your best bet would be to contact them about the possibility of getting duplicate recovery CDs...IMO.

Louis

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

#1. After install Windows XP SP3 on a Windows MCE PC, the "About" dialog shows Windows XP SP3 instead of MCE. Same goes for System Properties window. So it messes with the files of MCE.

#2. You can make a XP SP3 CD even if you dont have a XP CD. There is condition, that your OEM has put the XP files somewhere on your PC in an I386 folder. Read this article:
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

#15 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

I read the article about creating a bootable XP back up CD. Then it gets to the section of slipstreaming C:\XPSP2 /integrate:C:\XPSETUP.

Isn't the C:\XPSetup their trying to create the same as my C:\I386 File. If I went to the use the command prompt and intergrated My SP2 file into C:I386 wouldn't this work and add in the missing files. Isn't my C:\I386 file the same as having the XP CD. Thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users