Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns On And Off!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sirrenz0

sirrenz0

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

So...my computer started to turn on and off by itself a couple of months ago but I just played it off as it only happened about 3x.

But two days ago it started to just turn on and off constantly every 2 - 10 seconds.

I already reconnected all the wires, reset the motherboard battery, remounted the whole computer, and made sure the power cord was securely in place. It became stable twice (including right now) after long rests (10 hours and the 2nd one took a whole day yesterday).

My specs are

Processor: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6mhz

Mobo: GA-MA69G-S3H

VG: ATI Sapphire x1950xt

not sure about the powersupply but I know its above 550w

2gigs of ram

Thanks!

Edited by sirrenz0, 02 October 2008 - 01:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

First thing I would do is clean it up. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Looking for the troubleshooting PSU "endorsed" process, will edit when i find it. Folllow Sneakycyber's post in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...+supply+testing

Edited by smurfgod, 02 October 2008 - 01:17 AM.

#3 sirrenz0

sirrenz0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

I already cleaned the interior of my computer yesterday, its pretty clean no dustballs or clogged upe slots/fans and the power supply fan works perfectly. I also checked the power connector for the motherboard and all the pins were there and none of them were burnt. Since I'm in my college dorm I don't think I'll be able to find a cord around here.

I also think the main problem is with the power supply and hopefully not the mother board.

Edited by sirrenz0, 02 October 2008 - 01:46 AM.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

me too, that's why i sent you after the PSU testing post by sneakycyber.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

two days ago it started to just turn on and off constantly every 2 - 10 seconds.

The ON part is what sounds funny
I would disconnect the front panel push button to rule out if it's defective or not
You can turn it on by shorting out the 2 pins on the motherboard, where the switch wires plug into, with a screwdriver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users