Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleanup....cleaning utilities.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:19 AM

I have read a tutorial about Cleanup. How does it work? Can it clean [C:\Windows\TEMP; C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp], clearing all files and folders in the abovementioned places. Does it also clean the Prefetch Folder and exclude the Registry,or can it be set to exclude the Registry? Lastly does it deletes to the Recycle Bin or can it be configured to do so? Thanks.
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

Hi 10rand. CleanUp! will clean out files only, it does not look at the registry. The nice thing about CleanUp! is that if you are logged in as an administrator you can have itl clean out all user's profiles, not just the profile that you are logged in under. If you click on the Options button you can select what areas it will clean. If you have XP you can select to have it clean the Prefetch also. In addtion to the standard temp directories you have it clean yu can assign your own custom directories and have it clean those out also.

Post back if you have any further questions.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:25 AM

Just one thing, the deleted files, do they go to the recycle bin or are they lost forever? Because I was trying to manually empty the files mentioned on my original post and before I was through with that, the pc would show the desktop and give a message about the kernel wishing to debug. I was frightened and restored all those files I had deleted. Thanks, I think that I'm going to use this 'cleanup' utility.

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

The deleted files do not go to the Recycle Bin. They are simply deleted.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thanks, I'll use it anyway. If I have problems afterwards I can ask here for assistance.
Be well.

#6 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

Installed CleanUp 4.0 today. The pc is still working without adverse side effects. Noticed that everytime I clean there is about 3.5 MB of space freed[this after I had just scanned and maybe opened a document] Note: That people who have Spyware Blaster installed may want to check if all protection is enabled. I found out that after my first cleanup about +- 256 items were disabled. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users