Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Malware, Ran Combofix, Need Someone To Double Check

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dzohs

Dzohs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hello,

I didn't find out about this forum until I'd already run ComboFix. :trumpet: However, out of respect for the notes above I won't post my log information here.

The problem came from a torrent download when I ran it. Like an idiot :thumbsup: I was still shopping for anti-virus software because I'm sick of Norton, and so got dinged by some malware. This one creates the Micro AVS popups and says that there are all kinds of security risks and asks for me to download their software to fix it (I didn't, I removed my network connection and force powered down until I had the ComboFix with the Microsoft Recovery Download available).

I downloaded ComboFix and the Microsoft Pro SP2 file, put both on the infected computer and then (following the tutorial my friend had printed) dragged the Microsoft File over the ComboFix icon. From there I let ComboFix do its thing until the system reboot, then logged in and let it finish.

I still don't have that computer hooked to the network (haven't tried either). I wanted to see if someone would help me out and wanted to follow your instruction going forward. :flowers:

Thanks,

Dzohs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:02 AM

:thumbsup: maybe try running malawerebytes, instructions are here, for people to see where you are at now http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=959453
of interest, what is now your resident antivirus program and your windows version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users