Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Documents Seems To Be Empty...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 blvdprez

blvdprez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

My Documents folder seems to be empty, but it's not. i can access just about everything in it from My Recent Documents, other locations on the network, and from within programs when i "save as".

It is only wen i directly click My Doc's that it appears to be empty. I have searched online, and all i can come up with is permissions, or user errors. none of those fixes have worked.

i do see in My Computer under System Properties in the Advanced tab, and Environment Variables, there are 2 (two) variables for my user name 1 (one) says TEMP and the other says TMP.

Ideas anyone???

Edited by blvdprez, 01 October 2008 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:27 AM

Your Outlook Problems and this could be closely Related, Mate!

Solve the Outlook ones, then I think this one will go away!

:thumbsup:

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hello blvdprez,

Is the system set to show all files?
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options. Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders. Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files recommended option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Also, try opening My Computer=> C drive=> Documents and settings =>[USERNAME]=>my documents.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Alan, thanx, but his fix did not work. i think i had tried it before. anyway, do you have another solution or path we might attempt?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

You can try right clicking on My Documents select Properties and selecting Find Target.

This is the path to My Documents. C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents

Have you tried a chkdsk scan?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

when i attempt to "find target" it does find the folder, but it says it's empty...however, when i go to my recent docs and right click any random doc, properties, find target, it takes me to the folder inside my docs, and i can up arrow into other sub folders until i get to my docs. when it gets there, it again seems to be empty, but obviously is not.

i have not attempted chkdsk scan...not sure what that is?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

Chkdsk is a scan disk it looks for damaged blocks and tries to repair them. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 shows how to do it.

http://windirstat.info/ is a good tool that will analyse disk usage and show where all the files are, did you set the system to show hidden files?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

i did set to show hidden files.

i'll try the chkdsk now...

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thread over in the Am I Infected forum by this poster: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172420/error-message-rundll/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry962880

Also this one.

Edit, Bit like having several Bites on a Cherry that noone really knows WTH? (Abacus 7)

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 October 2008 - 11:37 AM.

#11 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

chkdsk is running...windirstat downloaded, but not sure what it is??? looks cool though! anyway, i have made no progress with this or other issues. but i'm checking back every few minutes to see if anyone has posted the miracle cure! thanks to everyone...

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

anyway, i have made no progress with this or other issues. but i'm checking back every few minutes to see if anyone has posted the miracle cure! thanks to everyone...

Maybe if you kept it all in just one Post, instead of scattering it all over the Board you may have got heaps more Help?

Members are Volantary Helpers here, not Slaves, Mate.

Putting in at least three Threads does not make people feel very inclined to help you once they know.

We Help where we can, but three different Threads just confuse us all. I did try to say that straight off?

I guess you know better than me?

Best of Luck to you, Mate!

#13 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Abacus 7, sorry if that came out wrong...i am very gracious for any help found here, and do understand that it is voluntary in nature.

as for the 3 different threads, i was under the impression that 3 different issues were meant to be posted this way. i read everything thouroughly before posting aything at all.

again, your help is greatly appreciated, and i'm again am sorry if you took offense to my last posting.

#14 blvdprez

blvdprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

OK...this problem has been fixed! thanx to all who gave thier insight and helped with it. you are my huckleberrys'...

how do we close this topic?

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

OK...this problem has been fixed! thanx to all who gave thier insight and helped with it. you are my huckleberrys'...

how do we close this topic?

No problem, glad to help. Just out of curiosity how did you fix the problem. You could PM a moderator to close the topic or if left for long enough it should fade away into the forum.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users