Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Mechanic Problem...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter A

Peter A

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hi chaps, new member looking for guidance! I am running a newly installed copy of System Mechanic. Specifically, I'm running the Optimised Defrag. tool (for the first time). It is stuck 'attempting to move' a file to cluster so-and so. The file in question is *deep breath*:
C:\...\S-1-5-21-4161372476-1285016778-1309289798-1003\Dc8
That mean anything to anybody?
I expected Opt.Defrag. to take a fair time on the first run and so far I would say it's been running for 30hrs... it stuck on the above file sometime last night.
Unfortunately Iolo's site is not functioning properly, thier search there doesn't even hit on 'Optimised Defrag'..
If anybody is familiar with sys.mech, could they shed a little light, please? And would 30hrs+ be the norm?Can I exclude this file?Or delete it? Thanks (he says, hopefully!).

Sys: XP home, sp1, 2.6celeron, 750ram, 16gig on the h.d. to defrag.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

Looks like it may be in this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\appmgmt

I would exclude it, but am not sure if its needed. As for taking 30 hours...it can take a while, but that seems to long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users