Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Red Shield

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

I came back from a trip to find the Windows Update shield red and unwillling to update, even though it was set to update automatically. I noticed that IE6 would only do Ask.com searches, which surprised me since the start page was set for Google. I was worried it might be a browser hijack. I also noticed that one of the svchost processes was eating up all the computer's cpu. I tried all kinds of things and finally decided to manually download and install IE7. It was a slow install and when I restarted the computer, the mouse would zip around as it is meant to do, but it couldn't do anything like close windows. I had to finally do a cold shutdown and when I restarted the computer, everything was hunky dory. No more Windows Updates red shield. No more greedy svchost process - just the normal ones. Everything running smoothly and well.

Is IE6 still supported? Any clues why this change to IE7 would have resolved a Windows Updates problem? And why does IE insist on using Ask.com?

Edited by Zllio, 01 October 2008 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

Did you reboot before trying to install IE7? I'd suspect either a corruption of IE6 (which was fixed by replacing those files with IE7 files) or a glitch in the OS that was remedied by a reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean24 explains the support for IE6

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<Is IE6 still supported?>>

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean24

<<Any clues why this change to IE7 would have resolved a Windows Updates problem?>>

Not really...any moreso than the fact that updating anything (browser, drivers, XP, programs) often solves existing problems. IMO, that's the purpose of the updates...to solve situations that existed with previous versions or to add security or features/options that were not available in previous versions.

I could be wrong in my philosophy. Personally, I don't update drivers when current ones do the job...but I do update programs and XP components when such are released, if the updates are security-related or if such offer features that I would like on my system.

<<And why does IE insist on using Ask.com?>>

Any user can reset the default search engine/website, http://windows.about.com/od/usinginternete...efault_sear.htm

I suspect that the IE default must always be reset when moving from one version to another...it seems to me that I just do so automatically. Actually...I don't use the IE search options...I just make Google my home page and go back to it when I want to do a search.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2008 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thank you everyone. I hadn't thought about a corruption in IE6, I was thinking mainly in the direction of malware, because it was working before I left on a trip. The idea that installing IE7 fixed the corrupt files makes a lot of sense, and while I liked the old format of IE6 better, IE7 has become familiar enough that I'm no longer affronted by it. The tab browsing has some advantages and I don't use IE anyway except when nothing else will work.

In terms of errors, there were a whole lot on the 30th of Sept. which is the day I fixed the windows updates problem by installing IE7. I expect the errors were what was occuring before the IE7 installation. Since the new installation resolved the problems, I won't bother you further about it.

Thanks muchly!

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

Glad its resolved. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic