Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Harddrive...........

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi there I am having some problems with one of my harddrives.......

I have a HP computer and up till last night have had very few problems with it. Last night I moved the computers from one room to another and booted the one up and updated the AVG and did a speed test to make sure all the wiring is ok, than I powered down.... This morning the wife went to boot up the computer and started booting and all went well untill the welcome screen came and would just hang there...... never going to the desktop.....

So when I went home I tried to boot in safe mode but would hang just before the desktop would come on..... So I thought ok I will just put in the windows disk and try to recover the drive, the disk would take forever to load the kernals and such and I finally gave up and told the wife everything is going to be lost and I will have to format. She did not like that so I though of pulling the drive putting it in a external case and just pull off the files we wanted and than format but it shows that a usb drive is connected, but no icons for it in my computer,,,

Please is there anyway to save the files and what could be wrong with this drive......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hello kwboom,

Does the drive make any noise when plugged in the external enclosure?

Also while the drive is plugged in (external) check the Device Manager.

1. Click Start then run
2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter
3. Look through the list for yellow or red marks next to the entries.
4. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

No not many noises pretty quiet actually. Already checked Device Manager and it showes the usb drive under Disk Drives, but showes no information for sizes of the drive in the properties......

No yellow or red marks....... almost is as though that something is blocking the drive but the computer can see that it is there but can't read anything.....

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

Is there another system available that you can test the drive in?

Also a recovery program may be able to help http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1
Regards,

Alan.

#5 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

That is what I am doing as of right now.... I have the drive in a external enclosure trying to read from it......

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:02 AM

I have noticed in rare occasions that while windows may not recognise the drive a recovery tool like the one above will be able to read and recover information.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Well I was able to recover some of the information from the drive with using a external case but now I have some other problems............ Check my other post..........

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

How much information were you able to recover? Greater than 50%? Some other recovery tools use different methods, you could try another to recover more.

What are the other problems?
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users