Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skipping Audio And Video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

I posted this a long time ago and never got a solution cause I was too busy to deal with it. I actually found a solution but what I understand is, the problem will come back and I am wondering how I figure out why the problem is happening and fix that so it does not keep happening. This is the forum that discussed the solution. I changed my HDD to DMA mode cause it automatically changed to PIO mode. What I am assuming is that it changed to PIO and that is when my problems began. I changed it and it is now fine. What has caused it to change. I know it is not as simple as that, but how do I figure out what is causing this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t67041.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hello raidencmc,

The problem can happen for a number of reasons, such as incorrect BIOS settings, damaged connections, failing hardware, damaged block on the drive, drivers failing etc.

here is a good article on the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Is there anyway I can troubleshoot it? Thanks for the reply I know it has been a while.

Edited by raidencmc, 04 October 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

As far as I'm aware there is no way of troubleshooting the problem, just every now and then uninstall the driver and let it install itself again. I've had this problem before and was due to a damaged HDD, I remember prior to the problem developing that the event viewer kept on showing disk errors.

If the event viewer is clean then most likely the problem shouldn't occur.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

When the system changes from DMA to PIO mode, it's because it finds that there's too many errors in DMA mode - so it forces the change back to PIO mode.

The fixes would include checking your hard drive, cables, disk controller, and motherboard for defects. The first step (IMO) would be to run a diagnostic on your hard drive. There are links to the most common one's in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users