Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Update Failed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

I tried to update avg free, and recieved the message "Connection with update server has failed". I thought ashampoo free firewall may be preventing the update, so I added avg to the rules, with full access, update still failed. I also tried going into ashampoo configurations, and clicked everything to "off", and the update still failed. Any ideas? Or is there something else I need to do? And if so, how do I do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

As there are several 'varieties' OF AVG, could you kindly clarify which version of avg you are trying to update?

#3 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Avg free 8.0. Does this tell you what you need to know?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

From the AVG Forum "The new long awaited program update v8.0.169 was just released... See [freeforum.avg.com] so the update servers are probably going to be overloaded until most of the users finally get updated to this version! Just please be patient and all will soon calm down."
This happened last time a major release was issued. It will update eventually!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Thanks. I was worried that my firewall was preventing it. This is what happened previously. They both(new firewall) happened about the same time.

#6 mike=)).

mike=)).

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

possibly the AVG update has problems with other firewalls too. My Comodo Pro firewall failed upon boot after the latest AVG update...

... I'll be following this thread too ;)

#7 brockalee

brockalee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:47 AM

Automatic updates for AVG Free (currently 8.0.173) doesn't seem to work. Using only windows firewall with the proper exceptions marked, it still always fails. This is the same problem I've had with other versions for YEARS. I'm also having the same problem on 5 other computers. Manual updates always work. Automatic updates work every *once* in a while, but mostly seem to only be good to let you know that there's an update available. I don't buy the "servers are busy" excuse. I think it's more like the "AVG purposely keeps users from updating their free edition" theory that I've read on other websites... :thumbsup: (That's one crazy icon right thar... lol)

Love this website's name btw. I've found threads here several times that I've gotten help from. Big "thank you" to this community. :flowers:

#8 Q8B5L2V0

Q8B5L2V0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

AVG says the problem could be the Firewall, but if you use a content filter, that could be the problem. I had the same problem, using Net Nanny. When I disabled it, the update worked. Of course, the best solution is to add a bypass for the AVG update server (http://guru.avg.com/softw/80free/update) in your content filter control panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users