Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Tell Me How To Connect To Internet Windows Xp Pro Via Lan/ethernet Cable?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

I have a small problem with Windows XP Pro. I need to know why can't it detect my LAN/Ethernet cable, anymore?

Would any of you please tell me how to make it instantly connect to the internet without me having to type in my IP address or static-address & ect. in the "Network Connections" section of my WinXP Control Panel?

Background story:

Recently, I got a used-laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100), which was pre-installed with Windows XP. When I plugged my ethernet cord to the back of the computer for the 1st time, it would immediately detected the internet/got connected to the internet right away.

Special Note: Of course, it was originally set-up to detect the ethernet (LAN line) cord, whenever someone connected the LAN-line/Ethernet cord to the back of the computer. It detected all of the drivers, which are installed on the computer, until re-installed Windows on it.

Ever since I re-installed Windows XP (SP3) on that computer, it won't connect to the internet via Mozilla or whatever else I use as a browser. It won't let me access the internet, even with the ethernet card/cable (cord) connected to it.

My internet-connection was lost as soon as I re-installed Windows XP. Please tell me how to make my Laptop computer instantly detect the ethernet card or drivers like it did before I wiped it's memory & re-installed XP on it.

Thanks in advance for your time & help.

Edited by NewsAndHistory, 01 October 2008 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

When you reinstalled Windows did you install all the hardware drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

No, I didn't put anything beside the Windows insallation-CD in my Dell Laptop computer. I have to use another computer to connect to the internet because I no longer have an OS, which auto-detects my drivers & controllers on my Laptop.

Why wouldn't Windows XP Pro be auto-detecting any of those things (listed below), when Linux detects them almost immediately after I installed Ubuntu on my Dell Laptop computer?

Ethernet controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Please tell me how to get Windows XP Pro to auto-detect my drivers & utilities on my Dell computer like Linux has done during the installation-process?

UPDATE: Problem solved. Thanks again!

Edited by NewsAndHistory, 03 October 2008 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users