Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undelete Help - Yikes!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

I had my digital camera connected to the computer and was editing the photos through "My Computer" where the camera shows up as removable disc F. Alas, I managed to delete all the photos. No problem I thought. I'll just undelete from the recycle bin. But they are not there! Where did they go? Are they recoverable? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi Hal06.
What is the make and model # of your camera?
First thing I would do is check the manual to see what happens to pics when edited\deleted while working directly from the camera itself (a definete no-no). Always copy them to your computer and work from there, leaving the originals on the camera until you're sure they're not needed anymore. There is third party recovery software that may work, depending on the camera itself.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

It's a Vivitar Vivicam 4000. The manual is silent about deleted pictures. Any help would be appreciated!

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

OK, it uses an SD card for storage and image formats are standard. (jpeg, tiff)
Go here, download\install Smart Recovery 4.5. It is very good freeware for your particular purpose.
The only drawback may be getting it to see your sd card while still in the camera but since it lists itself as a drive it "should" work. If you have an sd card reader, that usually works best. Either way, you have nothing to lose. :thumbsup:
You may also wish to see the FAQ's here.
The reason I didn't link the download directly to PCInspectors site is because they will link you off site anyways. Going directly to snapfiles will be faster.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 October 2008 - 06:45 AM.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I finally had time to do this today. Thank you very much, Hitsquad!

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

You're welcome Hal06.
I take it you got everything back? :thumbsup:

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

There were two photos that "failed to load." Not sure why. They appeared for a millisecond and then I received the "failed to load" message. Only one of the two was mildly important. Everything else was retrieved. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users