Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AJohnson

AJohnson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

So my computer that I usually use is messed up, its motherboard is through and im waiting for my next paycheck to get it fixed. I had to borrow an outdated computer so I could have internet access. This computer doesnt have a video card so i cant play a game i usually do.... is it possible for me to switch my video card from my old computer to this one im using now..... would it be something any person could do?

What are the chances of these computers matching up in compatibility?

I watched a few videos on YouTube and they said something about installing drivers from a disc you got with the video card, well this video card came with my computer and never had a disc with it. Could i download the necessary drivers on the internet for the card I want to install in my computer im using now.

Edited by AJohnson, 01 October 2008 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

You would need to check what type of video card you have and if it fits a slot in the "temp" machine.
Simple way of doing this is pulling the v.card out and having a look, its very easy to do (just protect yourself and your remaining equip against static shocks)

If the card fits, put it in and start up, you should be able to download the correct drivers from the manufacturers website, hopefully the info you'll need will be on the card.

Hope this helps.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 AJohnson

AJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know its a Nvidia card, dont know the specifics. If they werent compatible would it totally blow up my 'temp' computer? Im moving it from a Gateway to a Compaq. If that has anything to do with it

Edited by AJohnson, 01 October 2008 - 04:55 PM.

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

If theres a matching slot it will be perfectly fine.

You could most likely use device manager, to download and update the drivers, which will automatically find the correct ones.

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 AJohnson

AJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

I just looked at my old computer and couldnt really find anything that looks like a video card, lol

Im pretty postitive I have one because I could play this game, and on my temp I cant. Where are the video cards usually. I know where you install them manually, but is that the same place where they are when you buy the computer. (If that makes any sense)

Edited by AJohnson, 01 October 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#6 AJohnson

AJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

I have a GeForce 6100 video card on my old computer. But I cant find where it is. I know where you install them manually, but are they somewhere else when the card comes with the computer?

Im geussing i have a graphics card built into my computer so I wouldnt be able to switch it from one to the other

Edited by AJohnson, 01 October 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

If the graphics device is on board, it is built into the motherboard and can't (to my knowledge) be removed.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 AJohnson

AJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Ya i kinda answered my own question by doing some research. I have integrated graphics which is built into my motherboard, so I cant switch it from 1 to the other.

Well I learned something today... plus I might even install my own motherboard by myself. So cool beans

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/145 is a good guide for installing a motherboard.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users