Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue's With Explorer/xp Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

This one is kinda complicated. I am new to BleepingComputer, a friend suggested it. I have a Dell Inspiron w/ Windows XP on it. Somehow, when I don't directly type in the URL (say if I go to a search engine) the link that I click directs me away from my search to a random webpage. I could look up anything but I always get redirect on all the web browsers I have. Also, when I right click on the desktop to try and change my display properties, I no longer have the "Desktop" tab available, so I cannot change my background picture or the screen saver. I ran a virus scan and about 9 trojan viruses were detected and cleaned. I am getting another issue as well, something to do with the SVCHost file in my registry. I will go into the processes in my task manager and there is always about 7 SVCHost files running, when I try to end the process my computer prompts me and says it is automatically going to shut itself down within 30 seconds and it begins the countdown. Also, the SVCHost files reappear after I end the process. I tried to go into my registry and delete the file from it but the same problem happens, the computer auto-shuts down. Am I in trouble here, should I just recover the computer and back up my files, or is the repairable? One last thing, I tried to restore to a previous date but when I click "next" in the restore window it won't begin the restore. If at all can you help? Even if I need to recover the computer can you somehow explain to me why something like this would happen?

I appreciate any help! Thank You sooo much!

-John

Edited by JagX22, 01 October 2008 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hi.

What programs have you used to scan for malware? That means antivirus program...and malware-defense programs (such as, Windows Defender, Spybot, SUPERAntispyware, etc.)?

<<I tried to go into my registry and delete the file from it but the same problem happens...>>

Hmmm...what file might you be referring to, please?

FWIW: It's common to have several svchost.exe files operative at one time...I have 5 open/running now. The key is to find out what is behind those processes. The following link explains it far better than I ever could.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-is-it-running/

Louis

#3 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Louis,

I haven't tried anything yet, but that article was very helpful. When I get home I will give it a shot to see if I can disable the proper SVC. Also, I am running McCafee perpetual VirusScan. It doesn't expire so I found it quite handy. The console that pops up when you scan is call Virus Scan.

Thank You
John

#4 Booman

Booman

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

From what I have read It looks like you may have a few viruses and or spyware installed. I suggest running a free scan like

Eset Online Scanner

Just make sure that you accept the license agreement and install the active X control and then once that is done check the boxes 'Remove Found Threats' and 'Scan unwanted applications' Then kick back and let the scanner do its work. It will automatically remove the malware. It may take some time for it to complete.

Hope that helps.

#5 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thank you both so much, as far as I know the problem has been fixed! I didn't need to recover or anything.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hello,please run a quick scan with MBAM and post the log,thanks.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users