Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Write To External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brigandaca

brigandaca

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

I have recently upgraded my computer from an IBM T42 to a Lenovo T61p both of which run XP.

However, I have two external Toshiba hard drives (80GB partitioned into two drives and a 300GB) both of which are NTFS and neither of which will now allow me to write to them (I get a message telling me that the file is in use, the dive is full or write protected none of which is true).

I am still able to:
- copy files from these drives to my computer
- amend the existing files on the external drives (i.e. crop jpg images)
- create new folders on the drives
- move the files on the drive

I am not able to:
- copy any new files to either external HD
- copy any existing files on the external HD to another location on the HD (although as noted above I can move existing files)

I even went as far as to backup my data on my computer's HD and reformat one of the drives on the new T61p. This appeared to solve the problem as I was then able to write to the drive last night. However, this morning, when I started to continue adding to the reformatted drive I was back to where I started - unable to write to the drive.

Can't think of anything else that might be relvant. Any ideas appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brigandaca

brigandaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

A bit more info on my problem - other USB devices seem to work fine (I have a 2GB thumb drive which is working fine) and having spoken to Lenovo at length I'm pretty sure the drivers are all fine).

Somehow the computer seems to be locking the drives as read-only after their first use on the computer...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

Done any malware checks?

Sounds like a permissions problem...you might try How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#4 brigandaca

brigandaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

I'm fairly sure I haven't got any Malware (as sure as I can be) and I've upped the permissions as much as I can but still nothing.

The only other thing I've discovered is that the Apsx86.sys Lenovo driver is version 1.54.0.0 on my T61p computer whereas a colleague who is having no problems with his T61 has the 1.60.0.6 version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users