Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:36 AM
I have recently upgraded my computer from an IBM T42 to a Lenovo T61p both of which run XP.
However, I have two external Toshiba hard drives (80GB partitioned into two drives and a 300GB) both of which are NTFS and neither of which will now allow me to write to them (I get a message telling me that the file is in use, the dive is full or write protected none of which is true).
I am still able to:
- copy files from these drives to my computer
- amend the existing files on the external drives (i.e. crop jpg images)
- create new folders on the drives
- move the files on the drive
I am not able to:
- copy any new files to either external HD
- copy any existing files on the external HD to another location on the HD (although as noted above I can move existing files)
I even went as far as to backup my data on my computer's HD and reformat one of the drives on the new T61p. This appeared to solve the problem as I was then able to write to the drive last night. However, this morning, when I started to continue adding to the reformatted drive I was back to where I started - unable to write to the drive.
Can't think of anything else that might be relvant. Any ideas appreciated.