Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\windows\system32\config\system Missing Or Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

I posted about this yesterday, but I guess the title was too much like "HELP me!!11!!" to get many views. This may be more relevant to the XP section, but it could be related to bad stuff, and there is more traffic here.

I'll try to remember everything as best I can.

Yesterday, I turned on my desktop, a Dell 4700, to do some school stuff. I've only used it a handful of times in the last month or so, because I've been wary of the internet on it since my run-in with Antivirus XP 2008.

Things went fine at first, then Norton popped up to alert me to update, so I did. Then I ran a quick scan with it and it found a Tracking Cookie, which I deleted.

Then I thought it'd be a good idea to update Malwarebytes and do a quick scan with that.

Edit: I also remember I deleted everything from the quarantine before I ran the scan

I browsed some forums while it was running. In the first minute or so, I checked and it had found 2 items, but it wasn't finished, so I let it continue.

After a few more minutes, everything on the computer started to slow down, and I could barely switch to MWB. After a minute or two of this, the comp crashed and it gave me a Blue Screen of Death.

I don't recall exactly what it said, but it said there was a "Fatal Error" and it had a path or something, with a "c" and an "x" mixed in with a bunch of "0's"

I panicked, and shut the comp down manually.

When I restarted it, it came up with a "disk read error" I didn't see anything else about that before I turned it off again.

When I tried again, it came up with "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM "

Now very scared, I saw something about pushing "r" to go to a repair mode, I pushed it as I was talking to my mom, and then the comp started making this horrible sound, like the little horns on kiddie's bikes.

And that's where I am right now. I tried to turn on the comp again while posting this, to se if I could get to the error message to post exactly what it said, but it just went to the Windows loading screen, the bar at the bottom filled up, and it made the horrible sound again.

I found this about the problem with the missing or corrupt file, but I can't use it if the comp won't even quite start.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q307545

Please help me fix this somehow. I actually don't really care about the comp, but I want to be able to get any photos and stuff out of it before it explodes, or whatever may happen.

Edited by Cloud13, 01 October 2008 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

That sounds like a mechanical failure inside the case, fans have to be kept clean

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/sm/index.htm

following the safety reccomendations I would open the case and inspect, then I would power back up leaving the case off and see if I could isolate the sound

As long as it's not coming from your hard drive your data should be OK

Opening the case and a routine cleaning should be at least a yearly task if not more often
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

After my dad and I cleaned out inside the case, the sound remained, presumably from the hard drive. We were able to go into the Dell setup, or something by using F2. I was doing some other stuff, so I didn't look at everything, but from what my dad said, the computer wouldn't recognize the hard drive at all.

In the setup, there was a Driver that said it was for hard drives and CD drives and stuff, but even when we turned that driver on, the computer wouldn't start past that Windows loading screen, and still made the noise.

I have no idea what's happened, but I think now we need to go to a repair type shop and pray we can recover some data.

Stupid computers.

Edited by Cloud13, 02 October 2008 - 11:37 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

I found this about the problem with the missing or corrupt file, but I can't use it if the comp won't even quite start.

Review the instructions again. You are to use Startup Disks or your XP CD, then the Recovery Console.

"Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk".
"How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks" and select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Another option is to create a Bootable CD:
• Bootable CD FAQs
• How To Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD
• How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup Disk on a Preinstalled/Preloaded Windows System
• Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image

If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:
• Recovery Console ISO file
• NTFS4FreeDos ISO
• XP Recovery Console zip file

Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO.

You can start a new topic in the Windows XP forum if you need assistance with this or I can move this thread for you.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

All those steps you posted look rather complicated.

I did find a disk from Dell that says:

"Operating System

Already installed on your computer

Reinstallation CD

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Including Service Pack 2"

But, truth be told, I'd rather let a professional try to fix it. One of my dad's friends is an IT guy, and One of my friends built his own computer, and a guy that he knows is apparently a really good repair guy. If none of those, I'd still prefer a shop to myself. I feel almost jinxed like.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

I can understand that. Good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif