Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Ram Slot Damaged?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elkaye

Elkaye

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

I have a computer for a little over two years now. Over time I began to have problems with it booting up, but a quick reboot seemed to wake it up. Recently when I turned the power on the computer would give a stead beep and not boot up at all. I read online that for this computer's mobo, the beep codes are telling me that there is a problem with the memory.

Taking that into consideration, I did my best to isolate the problem:
1. Since the motherboard has two RAM slots and memory in both slots, first I removed one stick of memory from the second slot only and tried to start the machine (computer didn't work);
2. Next I switched out the original memory stick from the first slot and replaced it with other memory stick (computer didn't work);
3. Then I took out the all memory and only placed one stick into the second slot (computer booted up);
4. Finally, I switched out that stick of memory with the other and placed it into the second slot (computer booted up).

Knowing that the problem is with Slot 1, I thought maybe the contacts were dirty/dusty. But even after cleaning, the computer still won't boot if there is a memory stick in slot 1. So currently, I have this computer running with only one stick of memory. I've tried using different software like Memtest86 and MicroScope to determine the problem with the slot, but it didn't give me any info on slot 1 besides telling me that there isn't any memory there (everything else on this computer is fine though).

I consider myself as a novice at this type of thing and I don't know what else to do but ask for help. Is there a way to figure out if RAM Slot 1 is damaged? If it is damaged, is there something I can do to fix it? Can or will this eventually happen to the second slot? Any help or information is appreciated.

Here are some specs, courtesy of Belarc Advisor and EVEREST:
Computer: HP Pavilion a1410e
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC. NAOS 1.05 (ID 06/30/2006-C51/MCP51-A8M2N-LA-00)
Processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
Memory setup (current): Slot 'A0' is Empty, Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB (960 Megabytes Installed Memory)

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

The slot definitely can go bad, sounds like that's what has happened here, to me anyway. The only real solution IMHO is to either deal with having one slot, or replacing the motherboard. There isn't really much you can do with a bad slot, aside from any other cleaning solutions other members may have. Referencing http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/ you are only supposed to compressed air to blow out the dirt in the slot.

If you decide to replace the motherboard, then you could try a last ditch effort like Isoprophyl Alcohol and Q tips. But unless someone else offers it as a viable solution (safe) or you have already decided to trash the board, I wouldn't do it and expect the board to work at all afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users